Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a newbie to Linux, I've got it installed (with the help of a friend who is wise in the ways of linux) but, there is NO driver support provided ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Canon S750 Printer driver/support for SuSE 8.1

I'm a newbie to Linux, I've got it installed (with the help of a friend who is wise in the ways of linux) but, there is NO driver support provided by CanonUSA for the Linux O/S. I've confirmed this by calling CanonUSA.

Using the "best match available" provided in the driver configuration area (S800), I can get my Canon S750 printer to print, however it is nothing like it was when it was printing in Windows 2000! (its your standard parallel printer). I get ~14 blank pages cycled through the printer before I get anything to actually print out in Linux and it is very slow also.

I've searched high and low for days looking for a "3rd party driver" so that my Canon S750 printer will work with Linux with no success at all.

Does anybody know how I can resolve my problem? CanonUSA is absolutely no help at all and I'm growing desperate !!!!

Thanks to all in advance for whatever support you can provide !!!!

Linux Guru
    It's probably not too hard creating a driver for your printer. But it's impossible without the printer documentation from Canon. If you can get info from them regarding the printer's protocol, I could see what I can do.

Just Joined!
    I'll get the documentation and get back to you ASAP. Thanks

Mark

Just Joined!
    Just what type of documentation do you need.

I've downloaded the driver from the net. Is that what you need, or, is it something thats in the S750 Manual?

Linux Guru
    If the printer were from the eighties, it would probably be in the manual. However, no modern day printers include protocol info in the manuals. The driver (I'm guessing it's for windows) can't tell me anything unless I reverse engineer it, which I don't have the time for.
    You'll probably have to ask Canon for the info (about the protocol, that is).