Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
how are you putting them on the floppy? (what OS are you on, what command, ...)...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

how are you putting them on the floppy? (what OS are you on, what command, ...)

Linux Engineer
    if you just try to copy the file to the disk, you will get a 'not enough space' error... the reason being is that it is an *exact* image of the *entire* floppy, including the boot/hidden sectors.. so you have to write it to the disk as raw data using rawrite.exe (winblows/dos) or dd (*nix)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    well for right now I have them on the laptop, and it is running windows 98se. Even when I try to it under my other SuSE computer it says that the files are too big for the media. and it seems to me that a floppy will only hold 1.38 mb of info for some reason. Help I hate windows
    Wavz

Just Joined!
    Thank you Lordnothing the Rawrite utility worked out awesome, I will keep you all posted on my progress. Hopefully I have SuSE up and running soon .
    Wavz

Just Joined!
    Loading Data into Ramdisk (53300 kb) as I write this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wavz

Just Joined!
    SuSE up and running, but with some sound probs, Video Probs & wireless probs. The sound problem is that it does not recognize the sound card at all. The Video prob is that the screen size will not change from 600*800 and 16bit. And the wireless card is recognized but I cannot configure it. So does anyone think another distro will work better on my Gateway solo 2300???
    Wavz

Give the details on your soundcard, video card, monitor and wireless card, and chances are very good someone can help!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Hmmmm... That might take a day or two in research , but I'm on it!
    Wavz

Just Joined!
    Ok found my specs for the Gateway Solo 2300 @ http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/.../P230033.shtml

Sound card is a- Sound Chipset: YAMAHA YM715; 16 bit stereo audio, general MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) processor, 20 voice, four-operator FM music synthesis; full-duplex operation with 2 DMA channels; Software wave table support

Video Card is a- Video Subsystem NeoMagic NM2093 High Performance Multimedia Flat Panel/CRT GUI Accelerator.

Wireless card is a- Compaq WL110 11Mbps Wireless LAN

Wow! didnt take me as long as I thought!
    Wavz

According to this chart, you should be good to go with the Compaq WL110 as it uses the Orinoco chipset. I'd be afraid to advise you on the other hardware...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast