Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Just got a free Gateway Solo 2300 (Older Laptop) that doesnt have a CD Rom drive and has windows 95 on it (That I want to get rid of). It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install help

Just got a free Gateway Solo 2300 (Older Laptop) that doesnt have a CD Rom drive and has windows 95 on it (That I want to get rid of). It does have a floppy drive, now for the question!! How do I get Linux (any version) on to this computer??? I do have a dongle for my wired network & a floppy drive like I said before.
    Thanks,
    Wavz

Linux Newbie
    You can boot from a floppy with network support and load a system that way.

One thing I did with an old machine like that was that I just loaded the Slackware base system from an older version. Then you can install network support and install other packages as you want them.

Linux Engineer
    you could use a boot floopy that has your network card drivers on it, dl the tree and set it up from there...or you could dl amigo linux, just search for it, which is a zip file, and you can set it up for install from a windows drive, just click to run it, then you can prompt to add it to the boot loader and then get rid of linux from there...

one of these options should work,

in this forum you'll get lots more help to,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Or you could use limewire and dl partition magic, add a swap and an ext2 or ext3 partition, dl the linux tree to that partition and then use a boot floppy to boot to it, then configure the boot loader, then erase windows

Just Joined!
    does anyone know where I can get boot floppy images to put on floppies for the install. And if so what distro??
    Thanks again,
    Wavz

Quote Originally Posted by wavz
    does anyone know where I can get boot floppy images to put on floppies for the install. And if so what distro??
    Thanks again,
    Wavz
    here is redhat bootdisks
    ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linu...s/i386/images/

this is also a good starting point for bootdisks, www.bootdisk.com

Just Joined!
    Thanks alot jledhead.
    Wavz

Just Joined!
    ok Im getting a bit farther along with this problem. Now Ive downloaded the floppy images that I need, but I cant fit them onto a floppy. It keeps telling me the files are too big (1,474,560 bytes). So anyone have any suggestion for this problem??
    Wavz

Linux Engineer
    kind of simple and I don't even know if there is an alternative anymore, but make sure your floppy is high density, i think there used to be, or possibly still are, not sure, low density floppies with not enough room, the size you posted looks like it should fit on a 1.44mb drive though

which image are you using?

Just Joined!
    Well Im using an image of SuSE to do the install, i got them at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/boot/ And the floppies that Im using do say High Density Floppy 1.44 MB, that why I was confused that they didnt fit on the disk.
    Wavz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast