Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've read several threads on this topic on many websites and tried everything and I can't seem to make it work. I have ubuntu 9.04 on my primary hd and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    RSE
    Just Joined!

Grub won't boot windows from second HD

I've read several threads on this topic on many websites and tried everything and I can't seem to make it work. I have ubuntu 9.04 on my primary hd and want to be able to boot windows xp from the second partition on the second hd. Based on other threads I've gotten close by editing the grub menu.lst:

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd1,1)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    makeactive
    savedefault
    chainloader +1
    This gets me to the windows loading screen which stays up for about a second, before a blue screen with white text flashes onscreen for about a second, and then the computer reboots. I don't have time to read any of the text on the BSoD. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Linux Newbie
    Hi RSE
    Put the following into your menu.lst (or possibly grub.conf) near the first of the active section of your menu.lst.
    timeout=8
    Possibly just after
    default=0
    Move rootnoverify (hd1,1) to below your Mapping
    title Windows XP
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd1,1)

The rest appears correct as far as I can see. Give that a try and post back your outcomes. Cheers...
    Robert

Linux Guru
    Your entry for window looks good if it is on the second partition of the second drive. I doubt you need the "makeactive" and "savedefault" entries. If you are getting a windows screen after selecting your version of windows from grub, then grub is finished and the problem lies in the windows bootloader. When you get the blue screen with white text, try hitting the Pause/Break key to stop it so you can read and post the info here for help.

Might be helpful to post more information on your computer. Did you just switch drives? was the xp drive originally the first drive? Did you just install Ubuntu? xp? What's your partition information?

RSE
    Just Joined!
    I've tried that robert, with the same result. As for more information, this is a new computer (that I built) with everything running fine off the new drive. The drive with XP is the hd from the old computer. The second hd came with windows on it and i installed ubuntu on it previously, everything worked fine. First partition is windows recovery (fat32), second is xp (ntfs), and third is logical with linux and swap(ext3 and swap). I'm going to try rebuilding the windows bootloader via instructions on the web. Will post results.

Linux User
    The drive with XP is the hd from the old computer.
    you will normally need to do a repair install when taking an installed XP from 1 comp to a different comp, unless the comps are basically the same. It bsod due to the differences in hardware. You will also have to reactivate XP.

RSE
    Just Joined!
    I did do the repair install, Im beginning to think theres something either wrong with the repair partition, or something wrong with the hd itself. My next option is finding an xp cd and just installing it on the new hd and using my old key. If it'll let me do that. Thanks for the help.