Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi frns m having xp and Centos installed in a system, and want to install fedora as well if i install it, will the fedora Grub overwrite the centOS grub ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XP, centOS and Fedora, on the same system??

Hi frns

m having xp and Centos installed in a system, and want to install fedora as well

if i install it, will the fedora Grub overwrite the centOS grub and xp boot loader, if yes, then how to avoid it and make all three OS's bootable..

thanks...

Fedora installer will detect Windows OS and setup dual boot but you have to add CentOS entry in its conf file manually.

Two ways :

* Let Fedora installer install grub. Boot up Fedora, mount / partition of CentOS and open its /boot/grub/grub.conf file. Copy first title block ( title, root, kernel and initrd lines ) and paste in Fedora's /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

Or

* Install Fedora's GRUB in Boot Sector of its root partition instead of its default location, MBR. Boot up CentOS and add chainload code for Fedora in /boot/grub/grub.conf file of CentOS.

Do not worry about Windows XP. Fedora installer detect it and configure it correct. Problem is, Fedora installer doesn't detect Linux distros.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Fedora installer will detect Windows OS and setup dual boot but you have to add CentOS entry in its conf file manually.
    Fedora installer detect it and configure it correct. Problem is, Fedora installer doesn't detect Linux distros.
    hi devils casper!
    just one question...
    i have not tried it thus feeling it stranz.
    does it really not detect Linux distros?
    is it problem with only fedora installer or with all installer?
    thanks.
    Sorry, Linux is not my passion .
    Its addiction!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Its a Fedora Installer problem only. Installers of all other distros detect other installed Linux distros but only Fedora Installer is an exception. I don't know why Fedora Dev Team haven't sorted out this problem yet.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First