Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an oldish computer that I want to install linux on and just use with office programs and a printer to donate to a club. Because it has limited ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

select packages

I have an oldish computer that I want to install linux on and just use with office programs and a printer to donate to a club. Because it has limited specs, I have only been able to install light editions. I would like to try a more user-friendly distro as I am a newbie.
    Is there a version that lets me select which packages to include. I am assuming that it is the size and complexity of the distros that causes installer to hang.
    even the "light" distros have web browsers, picture viewers, music players etc that could happily leave out.
    I did note there is a Ubuntu "server" edition but that says 64 bit.
    thanks

The Ubuntu Server edition doesn't come with a desktop environment by default. Starts you up in a console so not so user friendly.

It's not so much the extra software that causes problems on low spec machines. Live CD installers require more RAM than text based non-live installation disks. And the "user-friendly" desktop environments of GNOME or KDE use a lot of resources as well. Most lightweight distros use at the heaviest XFCE, or otherwise just a standalone window manager like openbox or fluxbox.

What are your computer specs?

Antix is pretty close to Ubuntu and a lot lighter. I think it is easy enough for the average user.
    In my laptop, antiX from the Live-USB boots faster than installed Ubuntu 8.10!!!

(Download links are at the bottom of the page)