Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Try to install Redhat 7.3 instead, download the isos from the net, its free. I have heard a couple of colleges that have had problems with RH 9. Im using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Try to install Redhat 7.3 instead, download the isos from the net, its free. I have heard a couple of colleges that have had problems with RH 9. Im using RH 7.3 on Compaq proliant servers on my work...working just fine! I have installed on many systems and on some monitors the "unknown monitor" appear but the install process always continiues, it shouldnt be a stopping fault, at least not for me... are u sure the your cd:s are OK?? try to install them on a pc with a known monitor and see if it workes there...

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    Or, like I said, don't install X. Then it won't ask you for monitor or video card.

Just Joined!
    I have a Smart Array 3200 Controller also. Could that be a factor? I've also downloaded Slackware 9.0.

I get further with it but cannot create a new partition. I've done a system erase on the suggestion of Compaq. Slackware does not want me to create this swap partition for some reason.

I understand that it could be a firmware update issue. I found an update with an .scexe extension. I'm not sure how to install it from where I'm at.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I don't know really how Mandrake's installation works, but does it let you use fdisk to partition the drive? In that case, try and do that.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by skwilliams
    I get further with it but cannot create a new partition. I've done a system erase on the suggestion of Compaq. Slackware does not want me to create this swap partition for some reason.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    what are you using? fdisk or cfdisk?
    cfdisk is the most easy choice.

Dolda:
    I might be wrong at this, but I think that redhat tries to gather screencard/monitor info even if you are trying to install in text mode, and it wouldn't be strange either, because thef ship xfree when you choose "server" under the install.

But, don't take me 100% seriously because this is something that I've heard from some other people.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, I've recently discovered that, too. Up until now, I've only followed the installation of pre-RH8 installations from beginning to end. It seems that 8 and 9 probe video card and monitor regardlessly of whether you choose graphical or text installation, and regardlessly of whether you choose whether or not to install X at all. Actually it probes them before it even runs the installation script.
    I didn't know that until this weekend, though, when I installed RH8 on a new computer that I aquired to use as a server.
    It did however, take a very long time to probe the monitor. Are you sure that you didn't just not wait long enough, skwilliams?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2