Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I started the installation of Red Hat on our Compaq Proliant Server. It started loading files then came up to a screen with the following lines. Running anaconda, the Red ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unknown monitor

I started the installation of Red Hat on our Compaq Proliant Server.

It started loading files then came up to a screen with the following lines.

Running anaconda, the Red Hat Linux system installer-please wait...
    Probing for Video Card : Cirrus Logic GD544x
    Probing for Monitor Type : Unknown Monitor

At this point the system hangs.

The monitor is a Compaq which came with the server. It always did work under the Novell Netware that was previously the server's OS.

I tried a different monitor also, same result.

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    Are you sure that the system has hung? If you try to switch terminal (Ctrl+Alt+Fn from within X, Alt+Fn outside X), does that work?
    Is this a graphical install or a text mode install? If it is a graphical one, try the text mode install instead. I'm guessing your not going to use X much on a server anyway, right?

Just Joined!
    Sometimes I get those same messages (i.e-Compaq Laptop) It is usually nothing to be worried about. If you do need the X server for your server, (gosh I hope Dolda doesnt see this... ) then as long as it caught your graphics card, you should be fine. You can set your monitor to a " Generic Monitor that will do 1024x768" etc. On my laptop, I set it to a generic LCD display panel, and everything goes fine. But just to be on the safe side, you might check out the refresh freq. on the monitor and match them when you configure your monitor.

evan hazlett

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm assuming that the install is hanging because I've let it run for approximately 30 minutes and it never goes beyond the point of the unknown server.

I'm new to Linux, so I'm not sure how to configure the monitor or what the X server does.

I've tried the text mode also but it comes up with the same problem of unknown monitor.

I've also tried the commands "linux noprobe" and "linux lowres"

Novell Netware is currently installed on the server and I'm running the install at boot wanting to overwrite the Novell OS.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Steve[/u]

Linux Guru
    Try installing without X at all, if you don't really feel that you need a graphical interface. The X server is the program that handles the actual graphic I/O. All other programs that want to display anything graphical connect to it. I wouldn't install X on a server. You could try to install without it whether or not you want to have it later on, and try installing it afterwards if you really feel that you want it. That just might work better.

By the way, which version of Red Hat is this?

Linux User
    try to use the "linux text".

anyhow, good luck

Just Joined!
    The version is Red Hat Linux 9.

I have tried 'linux text', but it stills brings me up to the same screen/problem.

I really appreciate the help that I'm getting here.
    Red Hat support is a joke. Their web support won't reply to requests.

Linux User
    try another distro, maybe?

But if you didnt bought Redhat, its no wounder they wont reply. Try to give them a call?

Just Joined!
    I did purchase the software. No phone support is included, just web support.

I'm sure my boss won't appreciate it if I purchase another distribution after this one has resulted in nothing.

Linux User
    dont tell him

after all, you can download most distro's for free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast