Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, I want to install DSL onto a tired Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CS, and I want to dual-boot with the Windows 95 installation that currently exists on that computer. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install DSL from another Computer

Alright, I want to install DSL onto a tired Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CS, and I want to dual-boot with the Windows 95 installation that currently exists on that computer. The drive was conveniently partitioned when I got it, so that saves me some work.

The problem is the laptop did not come with a floppy drive, nor can it boot from CD.
    It is also lacking an NIC, aside from a modem, which I can't seem to set up.

How do I go about installing DSL to a FAT16 partition with GRUB from my ThinkPad with the Toshiba's drive hooked up through a USB enclosure, if this is possible?

if your old laptop does not have usb you may have to look for and order the floppy drive for your toshiba.
    verify that the bios has your cd rom as 1st boot device because if it is not the first boot device and it finds an mbr on the hard drive it will not proceed to boot from cd rom If your cdrom is the first boot device it should boot the iso with no problem

Linux Guru
    How do I go about installing DSL to a FAT16 partition with GRUB from my ThinkPad with the Toshiba's drive hooked up through a USB enclosure, if this is possible?
    You can point install and grub at sda? or hda? (depends what dsl describes letter designation of external usb drive enclosure. command
    fdisk -l
    should tell you what your external hardrive is and labled as.

One problem might arise however. Even after you point install to external enclosure. The distro will probably load modules for the IBM since it is going to be hooked up to the IBM. Might have problems booting up on toshiba. Never tried this so aint sure.

Aw heck. I might as well give you this to, though you don't have a floppy drive
    Yet Another Technology Site: Damn Small Linux 4.0 install on Compaq 1540DM
    Last edited by rokytnji; 11-19-2009 at 11:43 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Also if you can. Pull the hardrive out of Thinkpad to avoid installing to it by accident before you boot DSL. Makes it simpler.

That Fat16 partition might have to be formatted as Ext2 also maybe before you install DSL.

Just Joined!
    That Fat16 partition might have to be formatted as Ext2 also maybe before you install DSL.
    That kinda sucks, but that's not a big problem. I just had a few docs and a program on it that I backed up to two virtual hard drives.

Also if you can, pull the hardrive out of Thinkpad to avoid installing to it by accident before you boot DSL. Makes it simpler.
    My ThinkPad will not boot without an HDD, no matter what I press or what I set in the bios. This does, however, give me two ideas:

1. I could simply put the Toshiba's drive into the ThinkPad and install DSL (brain failure on my part...)

2. I could do all of this from a VM (saves me the trouble of trying to install DSL to a flash drive or buying CDs; I also have two images of the Toshiba's drive, so if I screw up, I can simply start over)

Google has already proven itself useful in helping me figure out how to set up GRUB; one method involves Knoppix, which I think I have already.

As for the guide, it looks like I have to skip/modify quite a few steps; at least I have another partition I could use for swap.

Thanks, I'll try to get back to you when I'm done or I get stuck.

Linux Guru
    My ThinkPad will not boot without an HDD
    Thats weird. I have a 390E and a T21 that does just that with puppy linux, because i have done it before.

Both don't have USB boot support. but the 390E has a FLOPPY DRIVE, with cdrom that will use a wakepup floppy to boot up puppy Linux. I have AntiX 8.2 though, installed on it right now. Works real good and connects up wireless painlessly. P2 Ibm 390E with 256 mb of ram. Wireless is done with Belkin F5D7010 ver. 6 Raylink chipset PCMCIA Cardbus.

Edit: Thought I might pass this along to you to

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Uhuru Linux 4.12

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Uhuru 421 - Now extremely lighter as first promised!
    Last edited by rokytnji; 11-20-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Just Joined!
    Alright, I've successfully been able to install DSL onto my virtual Toshiba drive. I did screw up and wipe all the data off my second partition, but I have a backup, so I'll just start over, perform all the checks (defrag and chkdsk), resize/create/format the partitions again, install DSL, and then I'll copy the image to the Toshiba's drive for testing.