Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, I did something to Ubuntu prompting a re-install, and can't seem to reinstall the operating system on my netbook via USB stick. I've tried different distros (Ubuntu Netbook Remix ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] Problems installing from USB

Well, I did something to Ubuntu prompting a re-install, and can't seem to reinstall the operating system on my netbook via USB stick. I've tried different distros (Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04, Arch, and Crunchbang), and have faced a slew of kernel panics, and unknown errors (the system froze before giving up anything useful). So, what should I do, if I can't install from a USB drive on my netbook (asus eee 1000ha)? I'm considering an external CD drive, but don't know if that would work.

First I would go into bios and make sure the Hard drives (Not sure if you are SSD or Sata Platter) are seen in bios and recognised. I have a Asus 900 that would freeze sometimes on live usb depending on type of USB drive used and which USB slot I would plug into.
    My SD distro install below

Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    SATA platter, actually. I installed UNR 9.04 initially without any issues from the XP included with the computer. I've got a 2G Sandisk Cruzer, and in fact installed Ubuntu from a 1GB cruzer two months ago. Can I do anything, or is it just an ISO, a flas drive, and a prayer?

Do you still have the U3 software on the 2 gig cruzer? That could be giving you Fits if it is still on there.

Bring the power of portable software to your USB flash drive - make it a U3 smart drive!
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    AntiX from my 2G Cruzer gave me this, when set up with unetbootin:

Code:
    crc error
    Kernel Panic - Not Syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,21)
    May or may not be of consequence. Is the eee really this unpredictable? I can't do anything with mine until I get a new OS on it.

I noticed you used a Kingston USB drive. Do they work any better than the Sandisk Cruzer?

I have had better luck with the Kingston Data Traveler than the Sandisk. Sandisk always froze up on me after getting to Desktop. Couldn't get the mouse to move.

I haven't tried below distro yet on my Asus EEE 900. But I did run it Live on my Acer Aspire One with Atheros 5XXXX chipset and it worked OK except for tap and shutdown. I know Asus used different Hardware from model to model on their Netbooks so it is kinda hit and miss between a 701,900,and 1000 model. That is where the unpredictability comes in.
    You might give below distro a go to see what is what maybe. I liked it.
    Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Lighthouse Pup 4.43b k2.6.30.5

My post in that thread is on page 5.

Also, I have never used the Windows version of Unetbootin to make a Live USB.
    Only the Linux version. I used Ubuntu 8.04 LTS to make the live pendrive.

Also, You might need to use boot cheat codes maybe to avoid kernel panic. Not sure though. Just a idea.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Couldn't even load a desktop... Apparently, it's a crapshoot trying to set up a USB drive, so I'm going to go buy an external CD drive one of these days. Any reccomendations for one I can use to boot/install from?

I have a Liteon EZ Dub DVDRW That is external USB. Bought it ages ago for $25.00. It has been a workhorse and Linux Likes it also.

Don't know if those are available anymore. I think any external USB 2.0 made by Liteon should be OK from Personal experience.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    So, I waited for my ecternal CD drive to arrive. It didn't work. I don't know if it'll help, but here are some errors I know little about:

Code:
    [0.517500] ACPI: Aborted because junk in compressed archive,
    [3.521470] crc error
    [3.588596] Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on unknown block(104,1)
    I can boot to the selection screen, but if I click "Try Ubuntu without changes being made to your computer" or "install Ubuntu," I get the error messages.

Linux Newbie
    Marking as solved... Just got a new RAM card to test, and that was the problem, managed to install eeebuntu from my lite-on slim USB cd drive.