Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] Problems installing from USB

Well, I did something to Ubuntu prompting a re-install, and can't seem to reinstall the operating system on my netbook via USB stick. I've tried different distros (Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04, Arch, and Crunchbang), and have faced a slew of kernel panics, and unknown errors (the system froze before giving up anything useful). So, what should I do, if I can't install from a USB drive on my netbook (asus eee 1000ha)? I'm considering an external CD drive, but don't know if that would work.

First I would go into bios and make sure the Hard drives (Not sure if you are SSD or Sata Platter) are seen in bios and recognised. I have a Asus 900 that would freeze sometimes on live usb depending on type of USB drive used and which USB slot I would plug into.
    My SD distro install below

Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive

Linux Newbie
    SATA platter, actually. I installed UNR 9.04 initially without any issues from the XP included with the computer. I've got a 2G Sandisk Cruzer, and in fact installed Ubuntu from a 1GB cruzer two months ago. Can I do anything, or is it just an ISO, a flas drive, and a prayer?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Do you still have the U3 software on the 2 gig cruzer? That could be giving you Fits if it is still on there.

Bring the power of portable software to your USB flash drive - make it a U3 smart drive!

Linux Newbie
    AntiX from my 2G Cruzer gave me this, when set up with unetbootin:

Code:
    crc error
    Kernel Panic - Not Syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,21)
    May or may not be of consequence. Is the eee really this unpredictable? I can't do anything with mine until I get a new OS on it.

I noticed you used a Kingston USB drive. Do they work any better than the Sandisk Cruzer?

I have had better luck with the Kingston Data Traveler than the Sandisk. Sandisk always froze up on me after getting to Desktop. Couldn't get the mouse to move.

I haven't tried below distro yet on my Asus EEE 900. But I did run it Live on my Acer Aspire One with Atheros 5XXXX chipset and it worked OK except for tap and shutdown. I know Asus used different Hardware from model to model on their Netbooks so it is kinda hit and miss between a 701,900,and 1000 model. That is where the unpredictability comes in.
    You might give below distro a go to see what is what maybe. I liked it.
    Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Lighthouse Pup 4.43b k2.6.30.5

My post in that thread is on page 5.

Also, I have never used the Windows version of Unetbootin to make a Live USB.
    Only the Linux version. I used Ubuntu 8.04 LTS to make the live pendrive.

Also, You might need to use boot cheat codes maybe to avoid kernel panic. Not sure though. Just a idea.

Linux Newbie
    Couldn't even load a desktop... Apparently, it's a crapshoot trying to set up a USB drive, so I'm going to go buy an external CD drive one of these days. Any reccomendations for one I can use to boot/install from?

I have a Liteon EZ Dub DVDRW That is external USB. Bought it ages ago for $25.00. It has been a workhorse and Linux Likes it also.

Don't know if those are available anymore. I think any external USB 2.0 made by Liteon should be OK from Personal experience.

Linux Newbie
    So, I waited for my ecternal CD drive to arrive. It didn't work. I don't know if it'll help, but here are some errors I know little about:

Code:
    [0.517500] ACPI: Aborted because junk in compressed archive,
    [3.521470] crc error
    [3.588596] Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on unknown block(104,1)
    I can boot to the selection screen, but if I click "Try Ubuntu without changes being made to your computer" or "install Ubuntu," I get the error messages.

Linux Newbie
    Marking as solved... Just got a new RAM card to test, and that was the problem, managed to install eeebuntu from my lite-on slim USB cd drive.