Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am sure my ignorance will become quit apparent, but please bear with me. I have never had any experience with Linux, however I just built a new pc and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

up for two nights...

I am sure my ignorance will become quit apparent, but please bear with me. I have never had any experience with Linux, however I just built a new pc and have always been intrigued (also the price was right). So I down loaded RedHat fedora and have been at my wits ended trying to get my new pc to even recognize it in my drive.

I initially thought it would be as easy as burning the files to a CD and sticking them in the new pc and let’er rip. I was unaware of a boot disc or a bootable CD, so I merely clicked and dragged the files over to Nero and burned them (FC2-i386-disc1.iso, FC2-i386-disc2.iso, FC2-i386-disc3.iso, and FC2-i386-disc4.iso). This did not work as the new pc kept on telling me “boot disc failure”. From what I (now) understand I did not create bootable discs, and thus they were not recognized (?).

Should I try burning new discs using another format?

Can I still use the old ones if I create a bootable floppy? If so how and where to I get the files to do this?

Could I take the drive out of the new pc and put it in my old one (running xp pro), and somehow do the installation and then put it back in the new one?

Is there something wrong with my BIOS? I did not believe so b/c it was asking me to install a boot disc, and it is a brand new motherboard.

Is there something wrong with my DVD/RW drive?

This is driving me nuts. I have been all excited to get this new pc running and it has been keeping me up for days. I am almost thinking of breaking down and giving Mr. Gate some more money for XP. Sorry to sound like a whiner, but I need help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated……thank you in advance.

Using Nero there are two ways of doing this. Newer Nero versions you click on the recorder menu and select burn image or older versions select file then select burn image.

Just Joined!
    I am trying burning it as you said (only one blank left urghh). So this should be a bootable disc then? Please correct me if I am wrong...thanx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am using "Nero ImageDrive", its the only method I have not tried....

Just Joined!
    the first one booted, thanks...

Linux Guru

Re: up for two nights...

Quote Originally Posted by gibbs7
    Could I take the drive out of the new pc and put it in my old one (running xp pro), and somehow do the installation and then put it back in the new one?
    The problem with this is that the installation software would do the install based on the hardware it detects in the system it's installed in. There could be some glitches. I have seen where you can skip the CD step and just download the install files on a hard drive and do the install. It may involve downloading a different file than the iso (i should know that...). and it will require a boot floppy, but that's no big deal: you can get one here.
    The install software would need to be put on a dedicated partition until the install is done.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better