Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a freind who's windows machine finally seized up, so i was going to put linux mint on a partition on it... i have done many installs using gparted, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

weird gparted error

I have a freind who's windows machine finally seized up, so i was going to put linux mint on a partition on it... i have done many installs using gparted, but I tried 2 different disks and got the same problem both time. after I resize, making 10 gigs for linux mint, I get an unspecific error message. just says " if you need support save this error" any ideas what is going on ?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvoo View Post
    I have a freind who's windows machine finally seized up, so i was going to put linux mint on a partition on it... i have done many installs using gparted, but I tried 2 different disks and got the same problem both time. after I resize, making 10 gigs for linux mint, I get an unspecific error message. just says " if you need support save this error" any ideas what is going on ?
    You might get this twice as I think I hit a hot key and the original disappeared. I have found from some experience that if I want to change the size of a Windows partition I use a Windows based partition manager e.g. Paragon Partition Manager (regularly given away on cover disks - try Computer Shopper latest edition.) I only use GPARTED (and NOT a Windows based manager) for changing the size of Linux partitions for the same reasons.

Not sure why, but it works for me; whereas previously I was regularly getting problems

KW

I've used gparted many times on windows machines without trouble.

What distro are you using? I recommend trying Parted Magic.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    thanks, I tried first with xubuntu live cd, then linux mint, I am able to mount, but when i try to resize, and click " apply" it just says " error" with a link to gparted's website. Ive done about 20 installs exactly like this and never seen this error. If the windows wasn't so gummed up, I'd just shrink the partition manually in xp, but it's slowed to a crawl.