Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I think you mean 8.04? I already tried 9.04 and am now downloading 8.04 (slow internet connection ftl)...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I think you mean 8.04? I already tried 9.04 and am now downloading 8.04 (slow internet connection ftl)

If you continue to have troubles, try booting Ubuntu in their "safe graphics mode".

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

You can also try passing the option xforcevesa to the boot line.

If it is the Intel driver, this should result in a successful boot.

Other distro may do things differently, but all have various boot options you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Unia View Post
    I think you mean 8.04? I already tried 9.04 and am now downloading 8.04 (slow internet connection ftl)
    8.04, yes. Cerebral flatulence.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    My Ubuntu 8.04 download completed over night, I'm burning it to cd right now. I also downloaded and burned Fedora 12, but I got the same error last time I tried Fedora:

[drm:drm_mode_rmfb] *ERROR* tried to remove a fb that we didn't own

Boot has failed, sleeping forever
    _
    That's the error message. I'm going to try Ubuntu 8.04 now. I'll keep you updated.

Just Joined!
    Update:

Ubuntu 8.04 gives an error or something when booting the LiveCD - it said something with busybox and initramfs.. Because it didn't work I rebooted and tried an alternate install, but when it's installing the base system, I get this error:

Debootstrap Warning
    Warning: file:///cdrom/pool/main/libi/libidn/libidn11_1.1-1_i386.deb was corrupt
    What to do? And how to solve the error with Fedora 12? (see previous post)

My Ubuntu 8.04 download completed over night, I'm burning it to cd right now. I also downloaded and burned Fedora 12, but I got the same error last time I tried Fedora:

That's the error message. I'm going to try Ubuntu 8.04 now. I'll keep you updated.
    Does it stop booting after this error? I see several other people have had that difficulty. There's a bug report on Redhat's Bugzilla site.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=539709

Unfortunately they don't have any workarounds yet.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yes, it stops.
    Could this also be my Intel Chipset? Maybe both Fedora and Ubuntu have this bug? (They're both Debian based, right?)

And do you have any solutions to that Ubuntu 8.04 error?

Just Joined!
    Fedora and Ubuntu both are not Debian based. Fedora is independent and forms the base for RedHat Enterprise Linux. Ubuntu is based on Debian.

Guess the 8.04 iso downloaded was not corrupt. Probably you did not perform md5sum check? If we download a file from internet we should check for its integrity. Some CD/DVD burning softwares do this test. Not sure if your writer software does it.

Yes, it stops.
    Could this also be my Intel Chipset? Maybe both Fedora and Ubuntu have this bug? (They're both Debian based, right?)
    Actually, no. Ubuntu is Debian-based, but Fedora is based on Redhat Linux. It could very well be an issue with your Intel chipset, though.

And do you have any solutions to that Ubuntu 8.04 error?
    I'd recommend verifying the checksum like svinoba mentioned. That sounds like a corrupted ISO.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Could you give me any clues as to how to do that? I've no idea how to..
    So.. as for now, I have no working Ubuntu, no working Fedora, slow working openSUSE and a working Mandriva (doesn't really fit for me tho)

Any other distro's you'd recommend?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast