Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Unia Could you give me any clues as to how to do that? I've no idea how to.. From the same place where you download the iso, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Unia View Post
    Could you give me any clues as to how to do that? I've no idea how to..
    From the same place where you download the iso, you will find a file with name md5sum. You can either open it. Try
    Code:
    md5sum <disto-name>.iso
    and then compare the out puts. You can also download the md5sum file and try
    Code:
    md5sum -c <distro-name>.iso
    . Fedora has slightly different way I guess.
    So.. as for now, I have no working Ubuntu, no working Fedora, slow working openSUSE and a working Mandriva (doesn't really fit for me tho)
    Oh, so you have working Mandriva? But doesnot like it? . The slowness with openSUSE may be issue with your RAM, swap file, unnecessary services running behind?
    Any other distro's you'd recommend?
    LinuxMint is generally regarded as "Ubuntu done right"

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply!
    I also came to the conclusion Linux Mint might work, so I'm downloading it already. (I did read somewhere that it's based on Ubuntu, so won't I have the same problems with my Intel Chipset?)

As for the checksum, I'm currently on a laptop with Windows XP, so could you explain how it works on Windows please? (Sorry for my noobishness)

If Linux Mint doens't work, I'll probably go for openSUSE and see if I can speed it up. Mandriva just isn't an option for me.

Just Joined!
    For windows I used to download from here: etree.org | md5sum.exe
    The commands are same. Infact, the site has info regarding how to check. Please go through it.

If the system is working with openSUSE and Mandriva then your hardware must be good. Hope Mint stands up to its reputation.

Good luck.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll look at it later on.
    I'll keep you updated!

Thanks for your reply!
    I also came to the conclusion Linux Mint might work, so I'm downloading it already. (I did read somewhere that it's based on Ubuntu, so won't I have the same problems with my Intel Chipset?)
    You might, but it's worth a look anyway.

As for the checksum, I'm currently on a laptop with Windows XP, so could you explain how it works on Windows please? (Sorry for my noobishness)
    Another option for MD5Sums in Windows is WinMd5Sum.

Nullriver Software : Products : WinMD5Sum
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I downloaded winMd5Sum, but I can't find the original md5 file for the Ubuntu 8.04 DVD image.. I'll keep searching for it though.

On the other hand, I have some good news finally: I installerd Linux Mint 8 to my pc succesfully, and I really like it. It has the same downside as openSUSE tho: it's really really slow. When I click the Menu for example, it appears 10 seconds later. Not even talking about starting Pidgin / Firefox..

I'll definetly try to get Ubuntu 8.04 working, but if it won't work I'm definetly going for Mint and get it to run faster. I'll make a new topic for that in the correct section, but as for now; any suggestions on how to get Mint running faster?

I downloaded winMd5Sum, but I can't find the original md5 file for the Ubuntu 8.04 DVD image.. I'll keep searching for it though.
    Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Hardy Heron)

The file you want is MD5SUMS. It's a text file.

On the other hand, I have some good news finally: I installed Linux Mint 8 to my pc succesfully, and I really like it. It has the same downside as openSUSE tho: it's really really slow. When I click the Menu for example, it appears 10 seconds later. Not even talking about starting Pidgin / Firefox..
    Hmm. Well, I'm glad Mint worked for you! I'm not sure about your slowness issues. It could be that the system itself is running fine, but it has to wait for your display card to refresh, so it seems like it's taking longer.

I'll definetly try to get Ubuntu 8.04 working, but if it won't work I'm definetly going for Mint and get it to run faster. I'll make a new topic for that in the correct section, but as for now; any suggestions on how to get Mint running faster?
    Check what services are running. There should be a program called... Startup Programs? You can uncheck anything you don't need.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i had this problem too... what speed are you burning the cds at? should be 1x or the lowest you can. also, use poweriso/magiciso or some other burning program other than windows explorer. this fixed the problem for me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3