Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello, I'm kinda new to Linux, though I've had some experience with it in the past. About two months ago I wanted to give Ubuntu (actually Linux in general) a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Not one distro works for me!

Hello,

I'm kinda new to Linux, though I've had some experience with it in the past.
    About two months ago I wanted to give Ubuntu (actually Linux in general) a try, so I downloaded it, burned it to a cd and installed it to dualboot together with my Windows XP. I didn't really had time to try Ubuntu, so after a week or so I decided to delete the partition, but Linux kept going through my mind as I wasn't really happy with Windows. So, after another try with Vista and Windows 7, here I am, wanting to go back to Linux. What's the problem then?

Well, not a single distro works! I did everything just the same as I did two months ago: downloaded the .iso, burned it and installed. I noticed that the booting from cd time was longer than normal, but after 45 minutes the install completed. I rebooted, got the Ubuntu sign.. but then a flashing _ appears on the left top of my screen. As I don't know much about Linux, I tried to reinstall, but the same problem appeared (though boot/install time was taking longer, about one hour this time)

Maybe it was just this Ubuntu distro, so I tried Fedora. Didn't even boot from cd.
    Tried OpenSUSE, which actually worked alright, but I didn't really like it and it ran slow. Tried Kubuntu, but same story as Ubuntu: really slow installation time, and after reboot the flashing _.

I tried numerous times, and numerous distro's (Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Kubuntu 9.04, Kubuntu 9.10 and even Ubuntu NetbookxRemix 9.04 and 9.10) but not a single one works! Everytime the install completes and I reboot, I get that flashing _ at the top left corner! I also tried the alternate installations and install from USB, but this didn't help either.
    What am I doing wrong? Two months ago everything went smoothly, but now nothing works anymore! Please help me, I really want to try Linux - I don't want to go back to Windows.

P.S: I have an Acer Veriton 1000 [PS.V10C1.B03]

What kind of video hardware do you have? There's a known issue with Ubuntu and some Intel graphics chipsets.

What versions of each of these distributions did you try? If you're using an older version there's more than likely something in your hardware they don't like.

..Also, if Ubuntu proper doesn't work you're not likely to have much luck with anything it's based on (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu NR). You mentioned that SuSE worked but felt slow? Is it perhaps because of buggy graphics drivers for your system?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    To be honest, I have no clue how I can find my computer specs or whatsoever, that's why I mentioned the product name of my pc.

I used;
    -Ubuntu (9.04 and 9.10) also tried alternate install on this one;
    -Kubuntu (9.04 and 9.10) also tried alternate install on this one;
    -Ubuntu Netbook Remix (9.04 and 9.10) also tried USB install on this one.

I also tried Fedora 12, but this one didn't even boot of off the cd, because of a missing component. And yeah, openSUSE 11.2 I think worked, but felt slow and was kinda lagging for me.

Thanks for your reply, I look forward to the next one!

Just Joined!
    Sorry to suggest to try another distro, but Mandriva (PCLinuxOS, Knoppix, Mepis) has(have) very good reputation for hardware detection.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try and see if this works later on.
    I'd like to get Ubuntu working firstly tho, but I'll definetly look into this option.

Quote Originally Posted by Unia View Post
    To be honest, I have no clue how I can find my computer specs or whatsoever, that's why I mentioned the product name of my pc.
    Okay, I did a Google search and according to this page you have an Intel GMA 3000 graphics chip.

I used;
    -Ubuntu (9.04 and 9.10) also tried alternate install on this one;
    -Kubuntu (9.04 and 9.10) also tried alternate install on this one;
    -Ubuntu Netbook Remix (9.04 and 9.10) also tried USB install on this one.

I also tried Fedora 12, but this one didn't even boot of off the cd, because of a missing component. And yeah, openSUSE 11.2 I think worked, but felt slow and was kinda lagging for me.

Thanks for your reply, I look forward to the next one!
    Did Fedora 12 say what component was missing? That sounds more like a bad disc than a problem with your system.

I hate to recommend this (given how many of these you've tried already), but have you considered trying Ubuntu 8.04 LTS? It's still supported, and any of the newer tweaks they made to graphics infrastructure probably haven't been ported over.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I think Fedora did say what was missing, but I thought I'd try other distro's first before solving this problem. I didn't look for a solution for Fedora.

I'm already downloading the Ubuntu 8.04 DVD image now, I thought the same as you did. I guess we'll see what happens.

I do have a question tho. You said it could be a problem because of my video card, but it does boot of the cd and the system just won't boot after installation. All I see is _ at the top left corner of my screen. So..could it really be this?

I do have a question tho. You said it could be a problem because of my video card, but it does boot of the cd and the system just won't boot after installation. All I see is _ at the top left corner of my screen. So..could it really be this?
    Yes, because the LiveCDs generally load a generic VESA graphics driver, whereas once it's installed on your system Ubuntu might be trying to load the Intel driver instead. I'm not entirely sure that's what's going on here, but it's possible.

Did you still see a GRUB bootloader screen on each of these installs?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    When I installed Ubuntu (or Kubuntu / UNR) I booted from cd. This all worked fine, a little slow, but fine. On the install it said it installed the GRUB Bootloader and when the installation completed I rebooted. When my pc was rebooting, I did not see the bootloader, it went straight to the flashing Ubuntu image and several seconds later to the flashing _ at the left corner.

I think I answered you're question, as I wasn't exactly sure what you meant.
    Thanks for all your fast replies, I really appreciate your help!

When I installed Ubuntu (or Kubuntu / UNR) I booted from cd. This all worked fine, a little slow, but fine. On the install it said it installed the GRUB Bootloader and when the installation completed I rebooted. When my pc was rebooting, I did not see the bootloader, it went straight to the flashing Ubuntu image and several seconds later to the flashing _ at the left corner.

I think I answered you're question, as I wasn't exactly sure what you meant.
    Thanks for all your fast replies, I really appreciate your help!
    By default if you only have Ubuntu set up on a machine it will set a very quick timeout period on GRUB, usually so fast you can't see it. That's normal. The fact that you saw the blinking cursor right after though makes me think it's an issue with your graphics card and udev, the kernel device manager. Alternately, a problem with the X-Windows graphical boot process. Keep us posted on how 9.04 works (or doesn't).
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast