Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Doing teh Debian install now, then to add Gnome... If anyone has any advice for a new install please let me know... Thanks, Dave...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Just got New Machine...

Hi,

Doing teh Debian install now, then to add Gnome... If anyone has any advice for a new install please let me know...

Thanks,
    Dave

oz
    forum.guy
    If you've never installed Debian before, you might want to read through some of the documentation on their website, especially the installation guide. Their wiki has some good tips, too:

Debian -- Documentation
    oz

Whoa!

Congrats on your new machine!

So are you planning to multi boot debian or dedicate the machine to it? Just curious. Am becoming fond of Debian myself.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Dave, I'm not sure how you plan to install, but you might want to consider using the Debian Netinstall if you have a fast internet connection:

Debian -- Network install from a minimal CD

I usually install from the "businesscard cd" and it produces a really clean, low-fat system.

Best of luck with your efforts and have fun with the new computer!
    oz

Linux Newbie

Thanks!

[QUOTE=ozar;748659]If you've never installed Debian before, you might want to read through some of the documentation on their website, especially the installation guide. Their wiki has some good tips, too:

Going through that now... Nice dual core machine, picked it up used, and used the live CD to test for hardware compatability. All seems to work, under live.

Quick question... I want firefox as the browser of choice. I don't see it in the repositories... Do I need to go throught the ./configure, make, make install process to get it going?

Dave

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Whoa!

Congrats on your new machine!

So are you planning to multi boot debian or dedicate the machine to it? Just curious. Am becoming fond of Debian myself.
    Given that it came with Windows, I will keep the Windows portion of things going, but I doubt I will use it much. Just keeping it for resale value later is all. My current machine has dual boot on it, and I almost never get into windows... I had to a bit ago to burn a netinst cd, but that has been it. I have shut down the email client, and am slowly moving files to the Deb box.

I will have to reformat the original machine, and put XP back on it, as some of the software I have insists on running under Windows. I have a ham radio license, and all the radio control software runs only under windows... Sigh... I'll try it under wine though!!

Dave

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Oregon View Post
    Quick question... I want firefox as the browser of choice. I don't see it in the repositories... Do I need to go throught the ./configure, make, make install process to get it going?
    They call their version of Firefox something else... iceweasel, I believe:

Iceweasel - Debian Wiki
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Looking at their iceweasel wiki page, I notice that they recommend installing with aptitude. My personal preference is using apt-get or synaptic for all software installation, but it's a matter of personal choice for each user:

Aptitude - Debian Wiki

apt-get - Debian Wiki

HowToSynaptic - Debian Wiki
    oz