Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a 160 gb hd with a 100gb partition for win7 and 60gb for xp... i want to format the 60gb partition for ubuntu 9.1. what would be the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] i have win7/xp, want linux/7. need format advice!

i have a 160 gb hd with a 100gb partition for win7 and 60gb for xp... i want to format the 60gb partition for ubuntu 9.1. what would be the correct procedure to remove xp and create a raw/ext3 partition?

Hi and Welcome !

Which Windows OS is your main OS? If you have installed Windows XP before Windows 7 then do not delete Windows XP partition. Windows 7 will not boot up after that. In this case, both OSes are using Windows XP bootloader and without Windows XP, Windows 7 will not boot up. I don't know how to fix this problem. I think you have to re-install bootloader or Windows 7.

If you have installed Windows XP after Windows 7 installation, just boot up from LiveCD of Linux distro of your choice and start installation. In partition Section, delete 60GB Partition, create 3 new partitions.
    1GB, SWAP
    15-20GB, ext for /
    Rest of space, NTFS for data sharing between1 Linux and Windows OS. Continue installation.

Best of Luck !!
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    i started with xp, split the hd to 60/100 and put xp on the 60. then installed 7, repaired the boot manager and now dual boots great. i was thinking of maybe using easybcd and deleting the xp entry from the bootloader then doing a format with a 3rd party partition manager. prolly have to be a boot disc... or am i better off just doing a backup, 7 install, then linux install?

edit: i wouldnt mind a tri boot, but im low on space
    got a 10k rpm sata2 and dont want to install an os to
    the old ide

Check the contents of boot.ini file of Windows XP. Is there any entry of Windows 7 in it? If yes, then you have to re-install Windows 7. I am not a Windows OS user and I don't know for sure that Windows 7 re-install is necessary.
    In any case, Windows 7 partition must be First Primary Partition of your hard disk. In most cases, Windows OS doesn't boot up fine if you install it in any other partition. I would suggest you to confirm this in Windows Forums.

Linux installation is very easy. Just make sure that Windows 7 boot up fine after deleting Windows XP partition.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    If you installed win 7 after xp then you are booting off the win 7 bootloader. I think it is possible to boot vista (and win 7 since it's just an upgrade of vista) from xp but you need to do this manually and it's not a simple process. vista and win 7 do not have the same bootloader as xp and earlier and hence, not boot.ini file is used. It's probably still in your xp partition though

Your win 7 boot files are probably in the root of the first partition (in your case xp). EasyBCD is probably a good way to go but I'm not really sure how deleting the xp partition would impact booting if your win 7 boot files are at the beginning of its partition. Might take devils caspers suggestion and go to a windows forum.

Just Joined!
    well i removed xp from the bootloader and restored the 7 loader with easybcd... then the fail lol. couldnt load 7 back up (luckily everything was already saved on the external). i ended up rage quiting, and doing a fresh install of 9.1 ubuntu. luckily it found the 7 install and grub now loads 7. one more reason im sticking with linux...