Find the answer to your Linux question:
so while converting a few friends i have done a few wubi installs, but after the install, it wants to update. if i let it update, it fails to load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

update after wubi install makes linux fail

so while converting a few friends i have done a few wubi installs, but after the install, it wants to update. if i let it update, it fails to load up.... has happened on two different computers both with win7. when wubi installs it, it has no grub, but after the update grub is loaded after the windows bootloader and just sits there. advice anyone? should i turn the updates off or just do a real dual boot?

If they've got the space, I'd just do a dual-boot since it will offer better performance. Is there any way you could post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst ?

Just Joined!
    well i ended up doing a dual boot on one but the other i dont have access to atm. when i had him go to the add/remove programs to uninstall it... ubuntu isnt there. gonna have to check for a manual uninstall then reinstall. would this affect grub badly? i would perfer not to use grub on his computer. just the winloader

Linux Guru
    i would perfer not to use grub on his computer. just the winloader
    If he's using win 7, you could download EasyBCD to manage windows bootloader and modify it to boot your Linux install. Download link is at the bottom of the page of this link:

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

Just Joined!
    downloaded. ty. seems pretty easy but how do you dual boot and not install grub? will easybcd see the wubi install?

Linux Guru
    downloaded. ty. seems pretty easy but how do you dual boot and not install grub? will easybcd see the wubi install?
    Ordinarily, install Grub to the root partition of Ubuntu rather than the master boot record. EasyBCD should then go to it and let Grub boot Ubuntu. I don't know if this will work with wubi as I've never used this method and have no intention of doing so. If you used Grub from Ubuntu as a wubi install to boot windows, I don't see why you could not do the reverse.