Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried loading Damn Small Linux and when my computer rebooted the second time (after selecting for it to boot from CD) it went to dos. I've looked everywhere and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] problem loading damn small linux

I tried loading Damn Small Linux and when my computer rebooted the second time (after selecting for it to boot from CD) it went to dos. I've looked everywhere and havent found out how to load it and don't know anything about dos. I could use it if given step by step directions but otherwise I don't have much experience with it. Was it supposed to do that? If so, where are some good directions on how to get me from there to having it loaded or can anyone offer some advice? I have Windows XP right now and want to have them both on the computer. And yes, I'm new to Linux. Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteOwl View Post
    I tried loading Damn Small Linux and when my computer rebooted the second time (after selecting for it to boot from CD) it went to dos. I've looked everywhere and havent found out how to load it and don't know anything about dos.
    Welcome to the forums!

Linux doesn't use DOS at all, so I'm not understanding the question or problem. Can you describe the situation better? It would probably help others to help you if you can post any errors or screen messages, as well.

You can check the following HowTo for making sure you properly downloaded and burned the ISO file to the blank disk as an image:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Linux doesn't use DOS at all, so I'm not understanding the question or problem. Can you describe the situation better? It would probably help others to help you if you can post any errors or screen messages, as well.

You can check the following HowTo for making sure you properly downloaded and burned the ISO file to the blank disk as an image:
    Thanks. I think it may be a problem with the CD. I didn't figure that it used DOS thats why I was puzzled by it. Pretty much all I did was put the CD in, resart the computer, entered BIOS, set the device to CD ROM, the computer restarted itself and then the DOS screen came up for a command prompt.

I will try to burn the CD again and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Hi and Welcome !

You have created bootable CD and CD Burner package has installed Dr. DOS to make it bootable.
    .iso images are bootable by default. Do not create Bootable CD/DVD. Select Burn Image to Disc option in your CD/DVD burner package. Almost all CD/DVD Burner packages have this option.
    You can use Windows OS based freeware Imgburn to burn CD/DVD. I never had any problem with it.
    Last edited by devils casper; 01-05-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Link
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

You have created bootable CD and CD Burner package has installed Dr. DOS to make it bootable.
    .iso images are bootable by default. Do not create Bootable CD/DVD. Select Burn Image to Disc option in your CD/DVD burner package. Almost all CD/DVD Burner packages have this option.
    You can use Windows OS based freeware Imgburn to burn CD/DVD. I never has any problem with it.
    Yes, that is exactly what I did! I forgot about not having to mark bootable when creating the disc until you pointed it out. I will try with a new CD and not mark bootable this time.

Edit: That was the problem. It works now.