Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unable to Boot Libranet

I haven't been able to boot the Libranet 2.8.1 OS, specifically from CD's I've burned from Libranet's free download sites. I downloaded, twice, 2-CD sets of files from two of their separate sites, with the same lack of success, despite that I was able to accurately validate the the checksums after both downloads. I've successfully burnedl ISO images on my system before, but have never experienced a problem like this. Additionally, I'm using an Epox motherboard in white box system, and the BIOS is properly configured to boot from CD-ROMs.

I would appreciate any feedback: success stories on similar equipment, troubleshooting techniques for CD-ROM boot problems, discoveries of missing files, etc.

try out another cd to see if it boots on your system, then we'll know if it's your system or the libranet cd that's the problem.

Have used other CDs

In reply to your suggestion, I have used other CDs, and no problems there.

However, I continued searching the Web after my post for additional information on Libranet, and found a utility for testing a CD [1]. According to the test results, the CDs I burned from Libranet's ISO image are defective, despite that the images I used to burn them passed checksum tests.

To date, I've burned about 5 Libranet CDs, using two confirmed good ISO images, and still can't produce one usable CD. I've also used cdrecord with a shell (at 1x speed) and K3b with the GUI (at 2x) -- the same programs and speeds I've used repeatedly and successfully to burn other ISO images.

Other than the possibility of some system background process corrupting the burn process, I'm at a loss to understand this. Though, even if background activity were causing corruption, I wouldn't expect it to occur for all 5 attempts.

4. $spacer_open