Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old Omnibook my Dad let me have and I wanted some version of linux on it so naturally I am TRYING to install Damn Small Linux. Here ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question HP Omnibook 800ct and Damn Small Linux

I have an old Omnibook my Dad let me have and I wanted some version of linux on it so naturally I am TRYING to install Damn Small Linux. Here is what I have done so far...

1. I took the hard drive out and used a usb to IDE cable and used the damn small linux live cd on my desktop and installed DSL on the hard drive using the USB HDD tool.

2. I put the hard drive back in the Omnibook and started the boot process

3. When I get to the desktop the screen is full of pink and green lines and I can make it the outlines of the desktop and the icons but cannot read them.

4. When I use the boot floppy to try and boot it and use fb800x600 cheatcode I get all the way to where it is supposed to load the desktop and it gives me this error:

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests ( 0 known processed) with 0 events remaining

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    First, try to install without the GUI - text-only mode. If you can login to the system, then you can think about installing the x-windows server, video drivers, and appropriate GUI. That's what I would do.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I have it on the hard drive how do I install it with no gui?

You will have to reinstall without the GUI. The installation scripts/GUI should have a non-windows-manager (gui) option.

Just Joined!
    That seems kind of complicated I'm only 17 and very inexperienced at using command line. Is there not a way to a scsi support onto the boot floppy because I have the external scsi cd rom drive that goes with this laptop. Then I could just boot off the live cd and fix it using cheatcodes.

I made a tutorial a long ways back on making a Smart Boot Manager Floppy so as to boot DSL off CD.

Yet Another Technology Site: Damn Small Linux 4.0 install on Compaq 1540DM
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I have a grandson who is younger than you are, and he doesn't let the command line intimidate him... There are plenty of books (online and off) on using bash and linux command line tools and system utilities. I'm not saying you need to learn how to (to use a car metaphor) rebuild the motor or transmission, but everyone should know how to check the oil, add transmission fluid, or how to charge the battery when the car won't start because you left the headlights on overnight.