Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I've been running linux linpus lite from my acer aspire one for a few months now and have decided to go for a different linux OS. I'm not sure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

choosing a linux OS

Hi

I've been running linux linpus lite from my acer aspire one for a few months now and have decided to go for a different linux OS. I'm not sure which one to go for, or if there are any that wouldnt be compatible with the aspire one, considering that it's not particularly fast or powerful. was tempted to go to windows 7 but willing to give linux one last go!

Linpus Lite by most accounts isn't very good, so you may well be happier with a different, fuller featured, linux version.

If you like the sort of specific netbook interface, you can go with something like Easy Peasy or Eeebuntu.

If you want a more normal computer interface, I would recommend Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

For the most part, any recent distro should support your Aspire One pretty well. Different models will have some different hardware, and I simply don't know if everything is supported out of the box. You can run distros off a USB stick without install to the hard drive to test em out and see if things work.

Wireless is probably one of the main, important things, that might not work out of the box, but it isn't usually difficult to get working. Often just requires some extra firmware that can't be distributed by the distro for legal reasons. If it doesn't work, check out the wireless section of this forum.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Linpus is based on Fedora, so try the latest version of Fedora and see how that goes.

I've also been hearing some buzz about Jolicloud, though I have never tried it.

Jolicloud

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check the link in my signature for a couple of quizzes that might help you with choosing a distro that you'll like.

Best of luck with it.
    oz

Linux User
    My two cents :

I have have been using Mandriva for 10 years and am much satisfied with it. I'm still using it on an (old) Athlon XP with not much 'speed' issues.

I lastly tried Puppy linux and I consider it to be a magic distro. Tiny with much possibilities for current jobs.

I was not pleased with Ubuntu mainly because I felt it was made for noobs, but that's a question of taste and feeling in front of a desktop environement.

There are tens of linux istros and you can test most of them through live CDs. Most of them would support you PC out-of-the-box.

We would please to read what is your final choice and why.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nmset View Post
    I lastly tried Puppy linux and I consider it to be a magic distro. Tiny with much possibilities for current jobs.

I was not pleased with Ubuntu
    There are tens of linux istros and you can test most of them through live CDs. Most of them would support you PC out-of-the-box.

We would please to read what is your final choice and why.
    I agree w/ Puppy, and of course try some live cd's.
    RP

Just Joined!
    thanks guys

decided to go for ubuntu 9.10, installed it via a flash drive. it looks much better than linpus lite, and seems to respond well on my aspire one. but, like mentioned above, the system doesnt pick up any wireless signal. also had a prob playing mp3s on the music player, rhythmbox. plus, to top it off, it won't actually install itself, i can only run it via the flash drive. linpus is still present, even when running ubuntu. any help with these issues would be much appreciated, i'm very new to all this linux stuff!

thanks

Here is an install guide.
    Ubuntu on the Dell Mini: Installing Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It's for the Dell Mini 9 netbook, but everything up to the point of installing the wireless driver is applicable. You may have a different wireless card.

To find out what card you have, open a terminal and post the output of the following commands.
    Code:
    lspci -vnn
    lsmod