Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, sorry for such a broad question, but I need some help choosing a DVD RW. When it comes to hardware I couldn't be more "newbie" than I am. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DVD burner help...

Hello All,

sorry for such a broad question, but I need some help choosing a DVD RW. When it comes to hardware I couldn't be more "newbie" than I am.

So, my question is mainly directed at the installation of it. Most of the shops that I go to have no clue if the DVD burners, will run on Linux or not and I don't see anything in the box that leads me to believe they'll come with drivers...so that's my first concern.

Is it the case that I first tour the internet a bit and find DVD burner vendors that provide the drivers (out of the box or via download) and THEN buy the DVD RW?

PS: I am getting a really good deal on this one:
    NEC ND-1100
    ...but it really doesn't matter...it's more your experience with the installing DVD burners on Linux that I'm interested in.

Linux Guru
    Now, I don't have a DVD burner myself, so I haven't actually used one, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd be very surprised if not all DVD burners use the standard ATAPI burning protocol. In that case, just using cdrecord should do it.

Just Joined!
    Yup, I agree with you on that ATAPI point...on the software though I would have thought it was more along the lines of "dvdrecord", but yeah, we're on the same page here. BUT, before I shell out a couple of hundred euros, I'd like to know if that IS the case and if somebody has actually done it and can say:

I have installed a DVD burner on my Linux box and am still smiling.

Linux Guru
    I get your point, but couldn't you just return the burner if it doesn't work?

Just Joined!
    Uhmmm yeah...but I'm assuming that in this day and age, that sort of "trial and error" procedure is a bit un-necessary and a lot of extra work/discussions?

What if you're asked by your customers to set-up a Linux Box, with a DVD burner, 4 different network cards, NAS, WebCams, etc...

You'd be going to back the store every couple of days...

I'm sure that by your second trip to the hardware store, they aren't going to be very helpful....

Just a thought on your comment....wouldn't you agree?

Linux Guru
    Why, yes, of course it shouldn't overexploited. It's just one way of many, and I find it quite useful. I myself have "borrowed" some tools from a local hardware store some times, ie. I bought them, used them and returned them. It's quite effective. =)

Just Joined!
    That sounds pretty cool...! I'm trying to picture the face of the guy in my hardware store if I'd ask to borrow some of his tools....hmmmm....not quite sure I'd get the same reaction, but it's nice to hear your story though.

So, would you know of anybody (including your buddies at the hardware store) which would have installed a DVD burner on Linux?

Linux Guru
    Sorry, I just know one guy who has a DVD burner, and he's not really into Linux at all.