Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am aware of http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html but i still ask for some help: consider By nweissma at 2010-01-12 i posted this question before, but it degraded into an ad hominem slugfest ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

How to install Linux'es

i am aware of http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

but i still ask for some help:

consider
    By nweissma at 2010-01-12

i posted this question before, but it degraded into an ad hominem slugfest and Administration locked it http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/mis...l-linuxes.html. in that posting, one of the responders stated that he needed a detailed listing of the files that this question refers to (he also stated that some of the stated filenames were obviously wrong!), and i hope that the attached serves the purpose.

i have wintel64 vista32, 2 x 1TB hdd's: C:\ == primary [="1^0"] active, holding Vista as exclusive resident; plus a vacant 2^0 , which acronis disk director suite has partitioned 15GB to receive Fedora, Mandriva, or OpenSuse.

assume for the moment Fedora: i assume that the procedure is to burn Fedora-11-x86_64-DVD onto dvd. and then what; i want to avoid destroying my Vista!: i want to ensure that Fedora is installed into the 15GB partition on D:\, and will not overwrite C:\'s Vista, as an earlier attempt to install ubuntu had done: ubuntu's installer completely ignored the configuration instructions that it should install on a secondary; instead ubuntu tsunamied EVERYTHING.

I personally would burn the Fedora-11-x86_64-DVD onto a DVD and reboot the machine with this disk in the drive....make sure your BIOS is set to boot CD/DVD first. The installer should take care of the rest for you. You may have to go into the advanced settings of the installer to perform custom partitioning schemes..just be sure to tell the partition tool exactly which partition to use.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Are you sure Ubuntu has destroyed everything? You will probably find that Windows is hidden away but not destroyed as is often the case when installation goes wrong. Ubuntu doesn't destroy any Windows partitions by default - you have to tell it to do so

Also you need to understand that the naming of hard drives as C:/ D:/ and so on is a Windows technique and you will not see this in Linux (usually)

To set up a dual boot using any distribution of Linux (such as Fedora) it would be a good idea to do a Google search first to see how it is done. Just search for the distribution name followed by "dual boot vista". So for Fedora you would do: fedora dual boot vista - Google Search
    Linux User #453176

he needed a detailed listing of the files that this question refers to (he also stated that some of the stated filenames were obviously wrong!), and i hope that the attached serves the purpose.
    Your file names are OK, the extensions are hidden in this view. In
    the Type column they are identified as ISO files.