Find the answer to your Linux question:
I plan to install Fedora Core 2 on my system and I have a problem with partitioning. I 'm confused about which partitions to create and how large should they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partitioning

I plan to install Fedora Core 2 on my system and I have a problem with partitioning. I 'm confused about which partitions to create and how large should they be.
    I have 2x120 GB disks.
    Any suggestions?

if yo uhave already installed, then a partition table has already been created, but a generic one has generaly a 32 meg boot partition where the kernel is stored along with a bootloader, then a swap and root. swap is double yout ram generaly, up to 512 megs, the root partition is noramyl broken up, but the rest of the space is for whatever you want, basicaly, generic storgae.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

do you want to do a dual boot? if so create all windoz partions first and then install fc2.

my partitions using 120gb:

50gb = xp
    20gb = fat32 for storage such mp3, docs, and others...
    50gb = fc2

read this guide for dual boot: http://www.overclockersclub.com/guid...edora_xp_4.php

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I 'm not planning a dual boot. I 'll use vmware for XP.
    I understand that I must create a /boot, /swap and a /root partition. I know what to do for /boot and /swap, but how many GBs should the /root partition be?
    What about /home, /var, /temp and /usr partitions? Should I create them? How large should they be?
    Thanx!

Linux Newbie
    I understand that I must create a /boot, /swap and a /root partition. I know what to do for /boot and /swap, but how many GBs should the /root partition be?
    What about /home, /var, /temp and /usr partitions? Should I create them? How large should they be?
    You don't actually need a boot partition, but it's fine if you want one. The root partition can just take up the rest of your drive. /home, /var , /temp, and /usr can all be separate partitions, but they don't have to be. It depends on what you want. If you just want a simple install, I would just make the root (/) partition take up the rest of the drive. You can make the other partitions and mount them if you want, though.

Linux Guru
    tuubaaku is right about /home, /var, /temp and /usr: it's personal preference. Reasons would be either increased flexibility or security.

/var tends to grow a lot for those that want to add lots of applications. I think most users don't use a separate /var, they just make their / big enough.

Gentoo suggests having a generous /temp for installing because that's where files are decompressed and compiled. (don't ask me, I just read it in their material) I guess the idea is that after the install, you can shrink it down? Same comments as for /var.

Since /home is where personal files are, it's good to keep that on a separate partition. If you decide, for whatever reason to re-install, you can keep your /home unchanged so that you preserve all of your settings as well as data.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for the information!
    You have all been very helpful.
    By the end of the week I will be a Linux user and I 'm sure that I 'll be back with more questions.
    Thanx again!