Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I'm new to Linux and need to know if I can install Linux in particualr Scientific Linux on a personal laptop that has Windows Vista installed. Many thanks!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Installing Linux

Hi, I'm new to Linux and need to know if I can install Linux in particualr Scientific Linux on a personal laptop that has Windows Vista installed.
    Many thanks!

Hi and Welcome !

You can install as many Linux distros as you like in single Harddisk. Most of Linux installers detect Windows OS and setup dual boot itself.

First of all, boot up machine from Scientific Linux installation media and click on Disk Utility ( Partition Manager ) in Menu. Shrink existing partitions ( or use unallocated space of your harddisk, if any ) and create 2 new partitions.

* 12-15GB, ext3 for root (/)
    * 1GB, SWAP

Start installation and select Manual Partitioning in Partition Section. Assign / mount point to ext3 partition. Continue installation. Installer will detect SWAP and Windows OS partitions and setup dual boot.

If you have any question regarding partitions, execute fdisk -l command in Terminal and post output here.
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    * Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Thumbs up ext4

I would agree with everything you said, but I'd like to say a word about file type. Ubuntu 9.10 defaults to *ext4* and it has worked flawlessly since its release. If you plan to install Ubuntu 9.10 (or 10.40 in beta), I'd recommend ext4 instead.

* 12-15GB, ext4 for root (/)
    * 1GB, SWAP

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Heymull View Post
    I would agree with everything you said, but I'd like to say a word about file type. Ubuntu 9.10 defaults to *ext4* and it has worked flawlessly since its release. If you plan to install Ubuntu 9.10 (or 10.40 in beta), I'd recommend ext4 instead.

* 12-15GB, ext4 for root (/)
    * 1GB, SWAP
    Hi and Welcome !

I agree with you regarding ext4 but read/write access for ext4 in Windows OS in not available yet. Sometimes new users try to access Linux partitions in Windows OS and in that case, it is not possible to access ext4 filesystem.

When New Users get hold of Linux they will not need Linux filesystem access in Windows OS and most of the times, users even stop using Windows OS.
    One can switch to ext4 any time.

Just Joined!
    I just checked at fs-driver dot org, and their FAQ for "Ext2 IFS For Windows" says:
    The Ext2 file system driver of the Ext2 IFS software will refuse mounting an Ext3 file system which contains data in its journal, just like older Linux kernels which have no Ext3 support. In this way data loss and damaging the file system is avoided when the journal is subsequently replayed. So you can access only those Ext3 volumes with the Ext2 IFS software which have been cleanly dismounted beforehand.

If I understand this, EXT2 is fully read/write compatible in Windows, but EXT2 does not recognize file permissions. EXT2 is outmoded, like FAT16. Users have come to rely on the secure network features provided by NTFS and EXT3. If files in EXT3 partitions have their advanced features turned on, Windows OS won't be able to fully work with them.

Is EXT2 really something any new Linux user should get used to using?

Here is how I setup my dual boot installations. I install FUSE from Symantec Package Manager, and that lets me read and write files on Windows XP from within Linux EXT4. I don't lose any file permissions or rights. The limitation is: I can't access any Linux files from Windows XP. I don't mind that.

I store all my significant Linux data in the Windows partition; I run many Windows programs from Linux under Wine. I spend most of my time in Linux, so have access to almost everything any time I want it.

heymull, this thread is regarding installation of scientific linux, not ubuntu

scientific linux current kernel doesn't support ext4, so your point is mute

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13
    heymull, this thread is regarding installation of scientific linux, not ubuntu

scientific linux current kernel doesn't support ext4, so your point is mute
    Even I forgot this while discussing ext3 vs ext4. Thanx !

Just Joined!
    I didn't recognize your reference to the word in your original post. Now I do, and I see you said "in particular(sp) Scientific Linux". I focused on devils casper's comments, in error.

Do you plan to use EXT2 or EXT3?

Just Joined!
    And don't forget to defrag Windows before patritioning.

If you are using GParted or PartedMagic to resize partitions, there is no need to defrage Windows Partitions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast