Find the answer to your Linux question:
Trying to ask the right question. I have a computer with 'free' 2010 32 bit Mandriva on it - it has 4Gb RAM so I thought as well as going ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    rAC
    Just Joined!

64 bit Mandriva 2010 PWP DVD error at blue screen stage

Trying to ask the right question.
    I have a computer with 'free' 2010 32 bit Mandriva on it - it has 4Gb RAM so I thought as well as going to the PWP version I would try 64 bit. I have a DVD of PWP.
    When booting from it and I try an 'install' it gets part the way through the blue screen bits and then fails saying something like 'installer exit with an abnormal error' I have tried the 'boot options' - safe,normal, no ACPI, only local APCI -all to no avail.
    I dont want to be helpless but can someone point me to a good explanation of the other options I could try for the kernel - the Mandriva site runs out of them pretty quickly. My google efforts have only so far given me detailed articles on kernel compiling or the Mandriva stuff. And nothing on this sites HOWTO guides appeared from the tittle to relate to this issue.

I also would like advice on what if any logs in the currently working 32bit install I should look at to see if I can relate them to any of the messages on the Alt F3 screen when I get a failure (I have already worked out that one option means that it looks to '/sdb' for the DVD - which is wrong as that is my second HDD.

Possibly this should go to the Linux Newbies area so mod feel free to move it if so.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, this begs the question, what hardware/CPU does your system have? Are you sure it will support a 64-bit OS?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

rAC
    Just Joined!
    I dont want to sound terse but I am asking for help on where to look in logs etc so I can sort this out whilst adding to my linux knowledge.

Whether the computer will work with a 64bit OS I don't know for sure but am reasonably confident that it will (I note that the install DVD if put in a 32bit only system will stop earlier than the stage I start getting problems at with a message to the effect that its a 32 bit system and cannot proceed.
    So far as the later goes without going upstairs to check its approx 18mnths old Gigabyte P3?something motherboard with onboard firewire, sound, SATA, and networking takes a Intel chip (E2800 I think), it has 1x IDE HDD and DVD RW, 1x SATA HDD, 4 Gb RAM fitted is expandable to at least 8GB RAM and has a Nvideo based video card (9300?) with 2 Gb Ram on it.

Knowledge along the lines of what is showing in the ALT-F3 screen during an install is what is written in the ???log when successfully booting is what I am after - that way by comparing what happens with various (so far) unsuccesssful options I have chosen whilst attempting to install may lead me to isolate and even solve my problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Still, I need to know what CPU you are running so we can determine if it has the EM64T extensions in order to run 64-bit systems. You can find that out in the BIOS. In any case, you can try running a 64-bit liveCD/DVD. If you can't find one for Mandriva, you can certainly download and burn ISO images of them from other distributions such as Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, etc.

rAC
    Just Joined!
    Ok its a gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P with intell Core 2 Duo inside (still not sure how this helpd me identify where to look)

Boot into the BIOS - hit F2 when the hardware splash screen comes up. Somewhere there is information about the system such as CPU, memory, etc.