Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've fallen in love with Fedora, but not to the point of ditching Eeebuntu (especially with it's coming Sid-based release). I would love to dual-boot the two distros, but every ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] Eeebuntu/Fedora dualboot and Grub issues

I've fallen in love with Fedora, but not to the point of ditching Eeebuntu (especially with it's coming Sid-based release). I would love to dual-boot the two distros, but every Fedora install I've done has done something to GRUB preventing it from reading the first OS (Eeebuntu on my netbook, various others in Virtualbox). My partition layout would be as follows (as of my last dual-boot, and my likely next configuration):

sda1: Eeebuntu /
    Sda5: /home
    sda6: Fedora /
    sda7: swap

What would need to happen to keep GRUB loading from SDA1? Or, at the very least, how can I modify my partition table to keep GRUB listing all of my OSes with different OS installs? It seems I've done the same thing on every Fedora install, but I'm not entirely sure what I've done wrong.

This is a problem with all RedHat based distros. Installer doesn't detect other installed Linux distros and you have to add an entry of other distro in boot loader manually. Fedora is not an exception.

a) Install Fedora, mount sda1 partition and copy first title block of its /boot/grub/menu.lst file and paste in Fedora's /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

Or

b) Install Boot Loader of Fedora in Boot Sector of its root partition. At Boot Loader installation screen, select manual location instead of default. Add /dev/sda6 in text box.
    You have to add this code in Eeebuntu menu.lst file :
    Code:
    title Fedora 
    rootnoverify (hd0,5)
    chainloader +1
    Both methods are easy but if you have installed Fedora already, go with a).
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    Fedora does not usually detect other Linux OS's so manual entries are usually required if you are using Fedora Grub to boot other systems. Which Grub version is your Eeebuntu using? Are you planning to boot from it or from Fedora?

Linux Newbie
    Grub version for Eeebuntu is .97. I would prefer to boot from the Eeebuntu grub, if possible. I'll try devils casper's method "b" first, and post back.

Before I test, the drive shows up in Linux as sda (it's a SATA drive) the four partitions show up as sda1, sda5, sda6, and sda7 respectively. Do I use "hd0", or "sd0",? And if sda6 is the third partition on the drive, do I still label it "hd0, 5)"?
    Last edited by arinlares; 01-20-2010 at 03:09 AM.

Do I use "hd0", or "sd0",? And if sda6 is the third partition on the drive, do I still label it "hd0, 5)"?
    Its hd0 only.

sda6 is your Fedora partition and in GRUB Legacy (0.97), partition numbers start from 0. /dev/sda6 is (hd0,5).

Linux Newbie
    No dice, either method. Interestingly enough, Anaconda set up an Eeebuntu entry, but it gave me an error 15. I tried both methods, came to the following, and the latter two entries still don't work (there's Fedora, Eeebuntu, and an Eeebuntu recovery, to be on the safe side, as it isn't exactly a stock distro):

Code:
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
    #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    #          root (hd0,6)
    #          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda7
    #          initrd /boot/initrd-[generic-]version.img
    #boot=/dev/sda
    default=0
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title Fedora (2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686)
    	root (hd0,6)
    	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 ro root=UUID=46306c03-4b5d-4285-875b-68eafdca268d noiswmd LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
    	initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.img

title		Eeebuntu 3.0, kernel 2.6.29-1-netbook
    uuid		a28eaf6f-2b31-4fa2-a58a-8d6db8ef3c0f
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29-1-netbook root=UUID=a28eaf6f-2b31-4fa2-a58a-8d6db8ef3c0f ro quiet splash 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.29-1-netbook
    quiet

title		Eeebuntu 3.0, kernel 2.6.29-1-netbook (recovery mode)
    uuid		a28eaf6f-2b31-4fa2-a58a-8d6db8ef3c0f
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29-1-netbook root=UUID=a28eaf6f-2b31-4fa2-a58a-8d6db8ef3c0f ro  single
    A note: I added .img to the end of the initrd entries for Eeebuntu, and it still didn't work (Error 15 on the two latter entries).

Edit1: Went through, can't see anything wrong with my configuration, but I wouldn't know what a proper one looks like.
    Last edited by arinlares; 01-20-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Did you copy title blocks from Eeebuntu menu.lst file?
    Try replacing UUID with actual Device names assigned to partitions.
    Code:
    title		Eeebuntu 3.0, kernel 2.6.29-1-netbook
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29-1-netbook root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash 

title		Eeebuntu 3.0, kernel 2.6.29-1-netbook (recovery mode)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29-1-netbook root=/dev/sda1 ro  single

Linux Newbie
    Didn't work. My partition change is as follows, now (different than the expected previous result):

Eeebuntu / - sda2
    /home - sda6
    fedora - sda7
    swap - sda5

Upon finding this, I adjusted all Eeebuntu-related entries to compensate for the location in sda2, and it didn't work.

Fixed it, used the Eeebuntu USB to do so. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by arinlares; 01-21-2010 at 03:57 AM.