Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an odd problem. I custom-built a workstation: MSI Speedster 1 mobo 2x Opteron 2352 4x DDR2 ECC 4GB 3x 150GB WD Raptor, hardware RAID 0 1x 2TB WD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub error 17 after fresh install

I have an odd problem. I custom-built a workstation:
    MSI Speedster 1 mobo
    2x Opteron 2352
    4x DDR2 ECC 4GB
    3x 150GB WD Raptor, hardware RAID 0
    1x 2TB WD Green, standalone

I had Linux Mint 8 installed, but before putting the machine to real use decided to toss Windows 7 on there to see how it worked. Now I am attempting to put Mint 8 back on to get everything set up. There have been no hardware changes since I had Mint installed before.

I can successfully install, but when I reboot I get a Grub error 17. The partition table looks like:
    50GB / ext4
    400GB /home ext4
    2TB /backup /ext3

Grub is installed to (hd0), which is the 450GB hardware RAID. It does not make a difference when I run the installation (and then reboot) with the 2TB drive disconnected. Thinking maybe the new ext4 format was messing with Grub, I tried:
    200MB /boot ext2
    50GB / ext4
    400GB /home ext4
    And installed again and rebooted. No dice.

Any idea what's going on? I'd guess Grub has issues recognizing the hardware raid, except it worked before

Linux Guru
    Grub Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
    This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
    Do you get a Grub menu? Do you get this error when selecting windows? Do you get this error when selecting Mint? Both? Did you install windows 7? The general partition information you gave didn't list any ntfs partitions.

Could you use the Mint Cd and open a terminal to run: sudo fdisk -l command to post your actual partition information?

Did you install Grub to the master boot record of the 450GB?
    Mint 8 uses Grub2, correct?