Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi I have compaq DL-380 rack server and in win2k they have utility for network load balancing in which the 2 nic card are teamed up to display a single ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network load balancing

hi

I have compaq DL-380 rack server and in win2k they have utility for network load balancing in which the 2 nic card are teamed up to display a single ip to external world

I want to do same in linux 7.2, is there any utility through which 2 nic cards can be teamed up so that we can have network fault tolerence+network load balancing.

thanks for any help in advance

Linux Engineer
    Im sysadmin about 100 compaq-servers(Linux) DL380,580,blades that are using the basplnx teaming driver for compaq nics. Check out my howto on my site http://www.utterberg.com/ under the howtos section, how i did to implement them, i´m using failover team though but its just a parameter in the config file if you want to run loadbalancing...

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    I don't really get this NIC teaming. I mean, what MAC address is returned for ARP queries and so on?

Just Joined!
    but this driver wont work on other nic card. Is there any way on linux, i mean where we can 2 nic card with same ip with fault tolerence

Linux Guru
    It does seem rather strange, but I actually haven't seen such a feature in the kernel configuration. You could try subscribing to the LKML at kernel.org and see if they can solve the problem for you.

Linux Engineer
    Which nic-cards are you using?? Almost every commersial nics have teaming support in their drivers. Check at your manufacturer page for information on teaming or bounding. The basplnx driver is for Compaq:s bcm-driver and cards.

What you need is a driver that support teaming and can handle 2 nics with the same ip. Almost every teamdrivers support both loadbalancing and failover teams. But as is said check on your manufacturer page of your niccards.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    i m using compaq proliant rack server DL-380 and nic card are (compaq NC3163 fast ethernet NIC)

i have checked the documentation and this card support teamind/load balancing for win2k but no info is there for linux.

cant we have any soluation that is applicable on all nic's.

Linux Engineer
    Your card is under the supportedlist for the basplnx-driver for compaq servers, all you have to do is to install this driver and configure it, you can look at my site to see my config, under the hoetos section. Im running this driver on all my linx servers.

Ofcourse you cant use windows driver on linux, therefore you cant have exactly the same drivers on microsoft and linux. Download the driver here.. and just post if you bump into trouble.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/17566.html

regards

Regards

Andutt