Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there. I am currently trying to install RedHat Linux onto my 30GB hard drive that is in my other PC. At the moment, when I come to the partition ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat Linux 9.0 - Partitioning Failure

Hi there.

I am currently trying to install RedHat Linux onto my 30GB hard drive that is in my other PC. At the moment, when I come to the partition area of RH9 install, it announces 'Read/Write error to /dev/hda' or something similar, I tried a Windoze fdisk, and it says 'Unable to read Disk 1!'.

I am wondering whether any Linux user could help me with my dilemma.

Thank you very much.

are you donig automatic partitioning and how many partitions do you have in your hd?

Just Joined!
    No, I am doing manual partitioning, and I have no idea how many partitions there are, as someone gave me the drive.

Linux Newbie
    a good program i found was QTParted. It came with Yoper and its quick and easy to use. I think there are other ways to initialize the program but it does come on the yoper iso download and it is graphical. It is easy, you can choose from many filesystem types and you can resize and move partitions safetly

hope i can help
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Quote Originally Posted by tcairns
    No, I am doing manual partitioning, and I have no idea how many partitions there are, as someone gave me the drive.
    when doing manual it should tell you the partition scheme...so check to see how many partitions are there

the number of partitions that were on the disk before dont really matter if a friend gave it to you and you are gonna install over all of it, just pick a scheme you want, and you can overwrite all the old partitions....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

but if he is trying to keep existing partitions and the limit of partitions has been reached it is possible to get the error message....

Just Joined!
    I can't even get to the main part, all RedHat tells me is that there is a Read/Write error to the drive.