Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently using a brand new install of Windows XP pro after a long time of crappy computing with my old version of XP. During the time I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So I'm a Linux noob, can I get some help?

I am currently using a brand new install of Windows XP pro after a long time of crappy computing with my old version of XP. During the time I was trying to find an install disc, I stumbled upon Linux and decided to try it. I downloaded Ubuntu, made a CD and popped it in. But whenever I hit %100 on the installation, it says the computer's temp has reached capacity and it shuts down. This is odd; because I'm blowing air directly into the machine via a computer fan. So that's my main question: how do I get it to finish installing? (I think it has something to do with using NTFS?) I also gave my entire hard drives to Windows XP, so how can I make a partition? I have more than 10 gigs of space for Ubuntu primed for use.

Also, when I finish installation, will I be able to install my desktop adapter into Ubuntu? The product is a DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter from D-Link (I would post the product page directly but I need 15 posts to do that. Search DWA-552 on google and the first link shoulddo it.)

Thanks for any advice.

it says the computer's temp has reached capacity and it shuts down. This is odd; because I'm blowing air directly into the machine via a computer fan
    Just curious. Does XP shut down to after awhile. Why the fan? Not sure about the wifi adapter. Might want to concentrate on the overheat issue first.

Have you cleaned out dust bunnies yet in computer?

I think Everest Home Edition from Major geeks will give you temp readings in XP so as to see what your computer is doing as far as temps in Windows.
    (I think it has something to do with using NTFS?)
    How are you installing Ubuntu? To a NTFS partition?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Just curious. Does XP shut down to after awhile. Why the fan? Not sure about the wifi adapter. Might want to concentrate on the overheat issue first.

Have you cleaned out dust bunnies yet in computer?

I thinkEverest Home Edition from Major geeks will give you temp readings in XP so as to see what your computer is doing as far as temps in Windows.

How are you installing Ubuntu? To a NTFS partition?
    I cleaned out the bunnies when I was trying to install Ubuntu. Windows XP doesn't shut down unless it's placed under heavy stress (my little brother likes to play online games, but he loads 4 sites at a time. ) I'll look at that program, btw. And I think I am trying to install Ubuntu onto an NTFS partition.

And I think I am trying to install Ubuntu onto an NTFS partition.
    Then are you using the wubi install option that says install Ubuntu inside of Windows.
    Not sure. Because I don't run wubi. But maybe a wubi install puts a strain on a already hot computer maybe. Unknown territory for me., I just run full installs on dedicated Linux Ext 3 file systems instead of Inside Windows. (I don't normally run Windows at all for that matter). Might be something to consider. Weird.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Then are you using the wubi install option that says install Ubuntu inside of Windows.
    Not sure. Because I don't run wubi. But maybe a wubi install puts a strain on a already hot computer maybe. Unknown territory for me., I just run full installs on dedicated Linux Ext 3 file systems instead of Inside Windows. (I don't normally run Windows at all for that matter). Might be something to consider. Weird.
    No, I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a disc, then booted from that.

Guide to dual booting.
    How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

You can create partitions from the Ubuntu installation. Just be careful not to accidentally overwrite your windows partition. You should format the partition to ext3 or ext4. The current Ubuntu defaults to ext4.

Having 3 or 4 online games going at once should not to my knowledge cause such a strain it overheats in any OS. That seems like a hardware problem. I would definitely look into some sort of temperature monitoring program.

Then I guess I mis understood
    And I think I am trying to install Ubuntu onto an NTFS partition.
    So it is overheating when you are just booting up as a Live CD? Because running live is not a install and it doesn't matter about ntfs when running live.

Reeds link is a good guide for dual booting. And yeah. You have a hardware problem if the computer needs a outside fan. You haven't posted your computer specs. So we are guessing on how to reply to these issues. Hope you understand.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Then I guess I mis understood

So it is overheating when you are just booting up as a ? Because running live is not a install and it doesn't matter about ntfs when running live.

Reeds link is a good guide for dual booting. And yeah. You have a hardware problem if the computer needs a outside fan. You haven't posted your computer specs. So we are guessing on how to reply to these issues. Hope you understand.
    I'm not running it as a Live CD, I'm attempting to install it. My comp is a Powerspec with an Intel Pentium 4 processor, 32GB hard drive, about 6 years old. My older brother used it a lot for playing WoW so the machine isn't exactly in its prime. I'll check that guide, thanks.