Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried Ubuntu = live CD loads to blank screen. Was able to load by F4 I think it was and selected safe graphics. Fedora = Never even saw ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blank Screen

I have tried Ubuntu = live CD loads to blank screen. Was able to load by F4 I think it was and selected safe graphics. Fedora = Never even saw anything; no choices to make; totally blank. Suse= Did the install and blank screen; selected safe mode= still blank. I have a Dell Laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 and 1Gb RAM. Default Res 1600 x 900.
    I'm thinking if I can load a live Linux and do some editing, but don't know what.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    See if you need a BIOS update on the Dell web site. I've had similar problems, but not with Dell laptops - usually older systems w/ integrated Intel graphics and an outdated BIOS. In fact, I have 3 different Dell laptops that all run a variety of Linux distributions without any problems at all.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yes BIOS is updated. I think it's just ATI. I would never put an ATI card in my PC with Linux distros.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have either of you (AllanP or seasoner) tried a different version of Ubuntu, such as 9.04? Try installing that, or boot without graphics to a console login and see what errors you get when you manually run the startx command.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Have you tried Ubuntu Alternate Installation CD? It has text based installer and it works fine in most of machines.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First