Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
The setup you propose is exactly what I have. One HD with XP on its own. One HD with Suse, it being the primary boot disk. The Suse installation picked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The setup you propose is exactly what I have. One HD with XP on its own. One HD with Suse, it being the primary boot disk. The Suse installation picked up XP and offers it for boot during GRUB. Additionally, XP can be mounted for data access from Suse. I bought a cheap LAN HD enclosure (not USB) and put a spare HD in it, accessible from any computer in the SOHO (it has its own ip).
    One word of caution: ext4 cannot be accessed from any M$ machine. On Suse 11.2 it is the default filesystem. Make sure to choose ext3 during installation.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by previso View Post
    The setup you propose is exactly what I have. One HD with XP on its own. One HD with Suse, it being the primary boot disk. The Suse installation picked up XP and offers it for boot during GRUB. Additionally, XP can be mounted for data access from Suse. I bought a cheap LAN HD enclosure (not USB) and put a spare HD in it, accessible from any computer in the SOHO (it has its own ip).
    One word of caution: ext4 cannot be accessed from any M$ machine. On Suse 11.2 it is the default filesystem. Make sure to choose ext3 during installation.
    Well, thanks for all the replies! I might post again in response to specific comments, shortly!

previso, I was wondering if the Grub or Linux booting ever gets buggered, how do you recover your Windows boot? You can run the CD and fixmbr even if the Windows OS is on the other drive? I suppose repairing or restoring grub would solve that problem but if it didn't?

It is issues like these I am unfamiliar with but I must admit, I think I like the situation of two drives: one that boots Windows (only) and one that boots Linux (can even have a small partition of Windows and multiple Linux distros). The idea of having separate drives may make setting up partitions simpler? Seems to me, it would. It's not as convenient as a Virtualization situation but at least, the Windows side is not restricted/limited (i.e. drivers are all working typically etc.). When Windows can work in Virtualbox normally then that will be the ideal situation but for now, I like the idea of separate drives. Two computers would be better but is more $$.

Does anyone here use SSDs? I was wondering if it was worth it to get one.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by penguin2 View Post
    Does anyone here use SSDs? I was wondering if it was worth it to get one.
    They were mentioned in a poll that we ran a few months back, and some discussion regarding them took place in that thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ive-types.html
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    They were mentioned in a poll that we ran a few months back, and some discussion regarding them took place in that thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ive-types.html
    No mention of any issues with them when using Linux on them?

I was just curious about that. I believe SSDs have different issues and 'qualities' which might include alignment stuff. This includes but not limited to various controllers so it would be interesting to know of how they relate or work with Linux.

Anyway, I am looking forward to investigate a plan on using 'separate ' drives for Windows and Linux. 'would be great to just pick which OS and have tons of room for each and storage room for data for either.

oz
    forum.guy

regarding SSD drives

I think the main issues with them are write speed in some cases, and prices in others, with compatibility being good for the most part.
    Last edited by oz; 02-23-2010 at 07:00 PM.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I think the main issues with them are speed in some cases, and prices in others, with compatibility being good for the most part.
    Yep, that's what I figured. 'Might be too much money but everybody says it IS the main bottle neck in our computers. I think they are especially beneficial in a notebook - makes it lighter and helps battery life.

The concern would be disk space. I think I'd decide to use ONE distro with a SSD unless I could get a 100/120GB SSD. 30 - 64GB, I'd go with one distro. I usually multi-boot but I think the reduction in disk space would require choosing one.

I guess one can use eSATA and and external drive to boot another or just use another drive? Hmmm...tough call but people rave about the speed benefits and you can configure Linux how you want. Even Gnome/KDE doesn't use as much space as Windoze? I will try xfce on my notebook so a SSD would be good on the desktop. Too bad my notebook is older and uses PATA/IDE technology.

In my setup, XP is a standalone., with its own MBR. As such, you could unplug the Linux HD and still boot from XP HD. GRUB, in my case, resides in the Linux HD, with its own MBR. Upon installation, GRUB "sees" there is another HD with XP and adds the option to the boot menu (same as one HD with two partitions in the "typical" dual-boot setup).
    I run virtualization from Linux but the overhead in resources limits the practicality of it. Since loosing 1GB to a bad memory strip, I hardly power up the virtual machine.
    In my setup, I installed XP first to its own HD. Then installed Linux on the other. If I want to try a new Linux version, I move my data to either the network HD or the XP HD. If the Linux doesn't work, I can still boot from XP while I figure what went bad. (by changing the boot order in the BIOS).

I revived my nephew's laptop, which has a bad HD, by putting Linux on a flash drive. These devices are optimized for one-way data traffic. The speed of a HD r/w cannot, at present, be matched by solid state drives. The system works, but it's like 1999.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Why don't you virtualize?

If I understand you correctly, you have one Windows XP and various Linux distributions. I believe multiple boots are time consuming for your need. Why don't you virtualize your environment?
    I use VMWare Server for Linux running on Ubuntu 9.10 server and I can bring up at least 4 virtual machines running Linux OS at the same time.
    I also used VMWare Server for Windows and works fine as well.
    And it is free!!!

Just Joined!

Smile Winblows

I didn't bother with Winblows (good pseudonym too, BTW Lynne14!) - it just sucks so bad - I made an extra partition on my boot drive and put DOS 6.22 with Winblows 3.11 (the only useful version of MSDOS) and boot that from a floppy when I want to reminisce! I bought a brand new laptop at Christmas with winblows 7 on it - it crashed 3 times in 2 days, so I put Ubuntu 9.10 on it - works perfectly and has yet to crash

Regarding the dual boot - I put all the OS's on 1 drive and my /home partition on another drive - and backups to an additional USB hard drive - works for me, and if there is a problem with the MBR - I can use the live CD to restore whatever needs to be restored

John

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast