Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i've got my new IBM R40 with a WinXP Pro preloaded, but i also need a linux OS, so i prepared the disk the new OS, BUT suddenly i found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake9.1 vs. Redhat9? HELLLLP!!!

i've got my new IBM R40 with a WinXP Pro preloaded, but i also need a linux OS, so i prepared the disk the new OS, BUT suddenly i found my self confused about which to choose! REDHAT or MANDRAKE?!

HELP!

Linux Guru
    Well, the difference isn't really that great, is it? Just choose the one you think looks best. =)

Linux Enthusiast
    I prefer Red Hat a lot over MDK, but that's me. Check out my guide - it has a lot of info on Red Hat and check out the mandrake homepage. Overall, it is personal preference though and in the end you make the choice. They do have lots of similarities, but I know what I like best.
    Also check both distros sites for hardware compatibility as well.

Look in my signature below for my guide on linux and red hat.

Linux User
    dunno if this is my personal experience or not, when ever i install mandrake linux, my mouse always dun work after install or during installation, the click always jumps around the screen with no reasons, it never happens in RH.

Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, i've had that happen (and many other weird things) with different distros. The good thing for me is that I usually have a serial mouse lying around that I can use and then I will manually configure it within the distro.
    The strangest thing I ever saw was how gentoo and debian didn't like my mouse or my keyboard. I even made sure I loaded the modules and compiled them into the kernel and it still didn't work. Sometimes, I just shrug my shoulders, most times I can figure it out though.

Linux User
    there u go! for me i just quit using mandrake, it is a distro based on redhat anyway, why bother?

Debian is another hard-to-know linux distro, i cant even get it installed on my hd, LOL,

regards
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Engineer
    I'd recommend Redhat. Although I stopped using it since version 8, the apperance is very appealing. I can't say anything about the performance since I haven't used it but if you really want my true opinion, use Debian. It might be more difficult to install than the other two distros but it's well worth it. The installation really isn't all that bad. If I can run it, anyone can.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Enthusiast
    actually debian looked really good and i was excited about trying it out, but it had trouble recognizing keyboard and mouse.

I am now using College Linux on the same machine with no problems whatsoever. I also know that suse 8.2 pro and red hat 8.0.94 and red hat 9 and mdk 9 will work fine on it, but gentoo had the same problem debian did with it. weird.

Linux User
    Wasn't Mandrake "redhat with fewer bugs" some years ago?
    But mandrake has a very good "community" for their users. MandrakeClub or something.

Linux Engineer
    yowww,

What kind of keyboard and mouse do you use? Is it USB? Either way, I've gotten everything to work out find with a little modification of course.
    The best things in life are free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast