Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to install fedora 12 on my pc, which has already a windows installation. I have windows on one partition, and had another partition to install fedora. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] get error: can't have overlapping partition - fedora 12

Hi, I'm trying to install fedora 12 on my pc, which has already a windows installation. I have windows on one partition, and had another partition to install fedora. I burned the DVD installation and booted the pc from it, no problem there.

I get to the part where i have to choose the partitions, and i deleted the unoccupied partition(which was NFTS i think), i tried selecting the partitions myself and tried too letting the installation choose the partitions.
    But i get the message "can't have overlapping partitions" and well, I'm stuck there, need some help

Hi and Welcome !

We have to check exact partition structure of your Hard disk. Boot up from Fedora DVD and execute this in Terminal
    Code:
    su -
    /sbin/fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thanks!
    how do i go to the terminal? the dvd boots into a graphical interface. didn't saw a way to choose a terminal.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You should find it in your menu.

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry, but i really can't find it.
    When it boots from the dvd it goes 1st to a screen and allows me to select:

1-install or upgrade an existing system
    2-install system with basic video driver
    3-rescue installed system
    4-boot from local drive

1 and 3 start loading for a bit but it freezes and do nothing(ok, i don't have a linux installed yet, i can understand that).
    4 starts windows.
    2 is the installation. it 1st asks to check the files on dvd, and then goes directly to the graphical installation, where it asks like the computer name, root password, etc. Then it gets to the partitions, i select the "use free space", and the installation chooses the partitions for me. Then i click to write to disk and its here that i get the "can't have overlapping partitions".

You have Fedora Installation DVD instead of Live. Boot up Windows OS and type diskmgmt.msc command in Run Dialog box. Post screenshot here.

You won't be able to post link here because of a few restrictions for new users. Post link of screenshot in text format.

Just Joined!
    here it is:
    i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/noobiePT/diskinfo.jpg

There is nothing wrong in Partition structure. Select option 2 (2-install system with basic video driver) again. Choose Manual Partitioning in Partition Section. Create 2 partitions out of free space.

SWAP, 1GB
    ext4, rest of free space.

Select ext4 partition and assign it / mount point. Installer will detect SWAP and Windows OS partition. It will setup dual boot itself.

In case installer stuck at Partition stage again, download PartedMagic LiveCD or USB and create partitions with it. Its one of the best partition manager.

Just Joined!
    just to say that i managed to install linux.
    The problem seemed to be how the partitions were been created, the partitions appear as an extended ones, and i noticed that the one with windows didn't had that, like it was above or something. So i selected the layer where the windows one was, and created the partitions and it worked.

i think that was the problem, but not sure.
    anyway, thanks for the help!

Linux doesn't care about Primary or Logical Partitions. Unlike Windows OS, you can install Linux in Logical Partition inside Extended Partition.

Anyways, I am glad that you have sorted out problem.