Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I want to have the smallest Linux possible. I need only basic stuff and X (no window managers, no nothing). Can somebody please tell me what I need (the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Small Linux

Hello,

I want to have the smallest Linux possible. I need only basic stuff and X (no window managers, no nothing). Can somebody please tell me what I need (the basic stuff)? ThanX in advance,

JVFF

Linux User
    use a floppy-distro or maybe LFS?

but why install xfree when you are not going to have a wm?

good luck

Linux Engineer
    I recommend you to install a basic Linux-installation first and then remove and disable support you dont need. Think its the best approach that everything is working and then disable stuff, then fixing stuff that dont work because you have stripped your installation to much from the beginning. Of course the most irrelevant software can be removed in the installation.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I must agree agree with Kriss; use gentoo or LFS and work your way up from nothing to what you want.
    But X without any WM? Didn't you mean desktop environment?

Linux User
    I have allways thought that wm was the same thing as desktop enviroment?

Linux Guru
    Most certainly not! Examples of window managers are sawfish or twm. Desktop environments are whole environments like GNOME, KDE, Enlightenment, etc.
    A window manager handles the positioning and resizing of top-level windows and similar functions, while desktop environments (or at another level, display managers) handles your entire logged in environment, and often the programming environment for programs designed to work under it.

Linux User
    ah. Thanks for clearing that up

Just Joined!
    Yes, sorry, I did mean Desktop Enviroment. Anyway thanx for all the answers. I'm working on some sort of Bootable CD Game. I checked out an article about that but the installation was too big. I used LFS, but it was also too big. I'll try to cut it down or just add X to a floppy distro. ThanX again,

JVFF

Linux Guru
    You might not need to add X to a floppy distro. Check out muLinux, it has X built in.