Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi eveyone! I've installed FC2 the first time (taking all the harddisk), but later one I wanted to calim some portion of my harddisk to boot WinXP, so I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    lux
    Just Joined!

unable to boot WinXP after installation of FC2

Hi eveyone!

I've installed FC2 the first time (taking all the harddisk), but later one I wanted to calim some portion of my harddisk to boot WinXP, so I have deleted any existing partition on the harddisk, but finally I recieved the error after I the CD (windXP) has copied its content into the harddisk, to continue the installation, the error says (missing operating system).... I wonder what FC2 has done to the partition table and is there any way to make this dual boot possible with FC2.

thanx

Linux Engineer
    a "missing operating system" error should have nothing to do with an os messing up a hard disk. i'm still not clear exactly at what step you get this error. i think this is what you mean:

-you had FC2 installed, but decided to install xp
    -you installed xp over FC2 and rebooted

now i'm lost. can you lay out the steps systematically and in detail so it's easier to pinpoint the problem? an xp/fc2 dualboot shouldn't be too hard to setup though.

Linux Newbie
    yeah, not hard to do - usually you install XP first, and then FC 2. Don't know what happened with the XP installation on FC2.

tuubaaku is wise.

Windows always wants to be first on your hard drive. Install it first, then use Partition Magic 8 or a similar Windows partitioning utility to resize the XP NTFS partition and create your Linux partitions. Don't use FC to create partitions as there is a known issue that should be avoided when doing a dual boot with XP.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00908.html
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Yyyeeesss, PM8, I used that, I got it off of Kazza, it worked like a dream, I had to compress my drive tho to get enough space. Wow NTFS and compression, one of the few GOOD Micro#hit inventions.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    1.I installed win98 (after managing partitions) over installed FC2.
    2.Then when i booted :NO Grub screen.
    3. I booted using my FC2 1st Cd with rescue mode.
    4.I reinstalled grub (make a backup copy of ur grub.conf but usually grub keep the settings of the old grub.conf. if it didnt edit ur new one).

Everything was OK after that.