Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey people, Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here or even give me some advice on the subject Right let's get down to the subject, I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Doing a triple boot with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Ubuntu or Xubuntu...

Hey people,

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here or even give me some advice on the subject

Right let's get down to the subject, I want to do a 'triple' boot on my custom built desktop pc which has Windows Vista, Windows 7 on a dual boot which works very well no problems there so I must say.

But I also want a good flavour of Linux on the boot as well, I was thinking Xubuntu or the standard Ubuntu? Which one would you guys recommend? Also my main question is does Xubuntu come with Grub bootloader? And would the Grub bootloader detect any NTFS OS on my single drive? As at the moment I only have one SATA drive which I presume would come under "sda1"?

Last but least, is there any downsides to a triple boot or is there specific requirements for a stable triple boot? As I said before my machine handles a dual boot very well without error

Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome !

You don't have to do anything special for Triple boot. Ubuntu ( and Xubuntu ) installer will detect Windows OSes and setup triple boot itself.

GRUB will give two choice at startup. One for booting up Ubuntu and other for loading Windows Boot Loader. On select Windows Boot Loader, you can boot Vista or Windows 7.
    Note that its not possible to add both versions of Windows OS in GRUB Menu. You have setup dual boot between two Windows OSes already and there is no way to add a separate entry for each Windows OS in GRUB Menu now.

We can't help you in choosing between Ubuntu or Xubuntu. Xubuntu is basically for a bit lighter machines. I would suggest you to try both and install which ever you like the most.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

You don't have to do anything special for Triple boot. Ubuntu ( and Xubuntu ) installer will detect Windows OSes and setup triple boot itself.

GRUB will give two choice at startup. One for booting up Ubuntu and other for loading Windows Boot Loader. On select Windows Boot Loader, you can boot Vista or Windows 7.
    Note that its not possible to add both versions of Windows OS in GRUB Menu. You have setup dual boot between two Windows OSes already and there is no way to add a separate entry for each Windows OS in GRUB Menu now.

We can't help you in choosing between Ubuntu or Xubuntu. Xubuntu is basically for a bit lighter machines. I would suggest you to try both and install which ever you like the most.
    Yeah at the moment both Windows Vista and Windows 7 is accessible via the Windows Boot Manager as when you boot up it will give you two choices as noted Windows Vista or Windows 7, so as you say on GRUB it will give the option to load either Ubuntu or Xubuntu or the Windows Boot Manager ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    so as you say on GRUB it will give the option to load either Ubuntu or Xubuntu or the Windows Boot Manager ?
    Yes. GRUB will detect Windows Boot Loader and give you option to boot up Windows Boot Loader or Ubuntu.

This is not GRUB's problem actually. Problem is in the method Windows OSes dual boot setup.
    Whenever you install second Windows OS, it becomes secondary with no boot configuration files. Windows OS installer detects already installed Windows OS and merges boot configuration files of both OSes. There is no way to separate those.

If you check second Windows OS, you will find there isn't boot configuration file in it. Its completely dependent on first Windows OS.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Yes. GRUB will detect Windows Boot Loader and give you option to boot up Windows Boot Loader or Ubuntu.

This is not GRUB's problem actually. Problem is in the method Windows OSes dual boot setup.
    Whenever you install second Windows OS, it becomes secondary with no boot configuration files. Windows OS installer detects already installed Windows OS and merges boot configuration files of both OSes. There is no way to separate those.

If you check second Windows OS, you will find there isn't boot configuration file in it. Its completely dependent on first Windows OS.
    Ahhh yes, I encountered that when I intalled Windows 7 as Windows 7 became the primary OS and Vista became hidden and not accessible 'til I added it to the Windows Boot Loader and job done. So as you say GRUB will see Windows Boot Loader so I'm sorted as far as a triple boot will go, which is what I want so I can hop on Ubuntu and then if I want Windows then load Windows Boot Loader

So thanks devils casper you've helped me

Now time to download Ubuntu and get installing

Again thanks a lot!

Glad to help you !
    Do let us know how it goes.

Just Joined!
    Will do, one other thing I've made a empty space on my drive (50GB) for Ubuntu so will Ubuntu just format that into the Linux Filesystem Format?

10-15GB is enough for Desktop User. Boot up from Ubuntu CD and open Disk Utility package. Its available in Administration menu. You can create/resize/delete partition through Disk Utility easily.

Create 2 partitions for Ubuntu.

* 15GB ( or 50GB, its your choice ), ext4 filesystem.
    * 1GB, SWAP

Start installation and select Manual Partitioning in Partition Section. Select ext4 partition and assign / mount point to it. Continue installation. Installer will detect SWAP and Windows OS partition. It will setup dual boot itself.

Just Joined!
    Thank you

Haven't used Linux since my very very old PC so I've kinda forgotten all this stuff about Linux as you probably gathered :P

Just Joined!
    @devils casper

I would like to thank you for all your help assisting me through the triple boot, as I've successfully accomplished it without error, even i'm no pc novice but i came for advice on triple boot as it was beyond my experience levels and to say I did not want to screw up just like no one wants to.

So again thank you a lot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast