Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to Linux and would like to install Xubuntu on an older PC I have. Right now it is running Windows XP. There are some questions I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile New User Help!!

Hi, I am new to Linux and would like to install Xubuntu on an older PC I have. Right now it is running Windows XP. There are some questions I have about installing it. 1. How do I totally get rid of Windows XP and replace it with Xubuntu? 2. I am using a USB Wi-Fi adapter and am not sure if it would work on Linux. I also can't find the CD with the wireless utility. Is there a wireless utility on Xubuntu that would work?

amazon. com/gp/product/B0009JR3SE/ref=oss_product

That is the wireless adapter I am using. I saw in the comments someone said it worked with their Linux setup. Is there a way I can try out Xubuntu to test if it works before totally replacing it? Thats my only real issue with installing it. I need to know for sure that I will be able to have internet connection before getting rid of XP.

drivers.softpedia. com/get/NETWORK-CARD/OTHER-NETWORK-CARDS/IOGear-WiFi-54g-USB-Adapter-GWU523-Driver-10.shtml

That is the driver I found.

Anyway, I just need to know how to test Xubuntu with the wireless settings, and if it works I need to know how to format my hard drive and replace it with Xubuntu. Thanks

Hi and Welcome !

You can check Hardware support using LiveCD of Xubuntu.

I would suggest you not to remove Windows OS for a few days/months. You should get familier with Linux first. You can delete Windows OS anytime.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

At the very least make sure you have a good backup of your current windows system before obliterating it.

Most hardware works under Linux but there are exceptions.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close