Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I wonder if anyone can help, I have tried googling this many times and still have had no success. I have an old Dell Latitude LM P133 with a 1626 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Puppy Installation on 'antique' laptop

I wonder if anyone can help, I have tried googling this many times and still have had no success.

I have an old Dell Latitude LM P133 with a 1626 Mb hard drive and 40Mb RAM. This model has a swappable 3.5" floppy or CD-rom but will only boot from HDD or Floppy, USB is not supported.

I have been playing with Puppy on my main computer as a CD boot and would like to install Puppy on the DELL, I understand that this would be a suitable system.

I can remove the hard drive and connect it to a pc running xp via USB cable (This pc also has UBUNTU on it (dual boot and fairly recent install of which I have very little experience!)

So far I have I have copied the ISO file to the hard drive (FAT 32 format) but it won't boot directly, I have tried installing GRUB but to be honest am not really sure what I am doing. I have also tried the wakepuppy floppy and copied the IDEHD file to the hard drive but still no luck, I am getting 'pnpbios fault' messages.

Is there a real step by step guide for a complete linux newbie available on the internet or can anyone help.

If necessary I can reformat the drive and start from clean if you prefer

many thanks

Linux User
    I would use unetbootin (web search and download) with the old laptop hard drive connected via usb and 'burn' the Puppy iso to that drive. Get the dev name of the drive (/dev/sd?) and set this as the target in unetbootin. Grub will be installed on the drive by unetbootin.
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.

Even puppy might struggle with that machine. It recommends 128MB RAM for the current release, though it is possible to get it going with less. You can also use an old release, but...

I would recommend trying slitaz. According to their site, the loram image can boot with as little as 10mb RAM. They also have a floppy boot disc image.

SliTaz LiveCD Flavors
    SliTaz - Downloads

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you nmset, I discovered unetbootin while I was playing a short while ago and tried to install DSL as I think it may be better on this machine.

Please can you be a little more specific about how to find dev name. I really don't know a lot about this at all and any programming I learned was 25 years ago and it has never been used since, rusty isn't the phrase to use!!

Just Joined!

slitaz

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Even puppy might struggle with that machine. It recommends 128MB RAM for the current release, though it is possible to get it going with less. You can also use an old release, but...

I would recommend trying slitaz. According to their site, the loram image can boot with as little as 10mb RAM. They also have a floppy boot disc image.

Thank you for this, I will look at it but I would like to see if I can get Pup or DSL to run first

Linux User
    You can find the dev name in many ways, the simplest in my view is comparing the output of
    Code:
    df -h
    before and after mounting the drive. Just identify the new line.

I didn't flash on the fact that your old PC has only 40 MB RAM. Puppy is loaded totally in RAM and the ISO is about 100 MB. DSL, Slitaz or some other tiny distros might best suit this machine.
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.

Just Joined!

still probs

I think that you are probably right about Puppy but I would like to try DSL. I reformatted the drive (FAT32) using the main I have installed DSL using unetbootin from the main computer and also grub and I have also installed the stuff from a win98 boot disk in case that is needed and I am still getting nowhere fast.

I can see the stuff on the c: drive but can't get it to run

Any more suggestions or should I just use the laptop as a doorstop!

Thank you for your help

Linux Guru
    My instructions for making a Smart Boot Manager Floppy for booting a computer that has no ability to boot from USB in bios.

For Puppy

For DSL

I also have made a PLOP Boot Manager that boots AntiX from USB on a computer that is incapable of USB boot. My thread on this procedure below. The fourth post down is the command I used to write the floppy image to floppy disk in Linux. You must be in the directory of where you downloaded the floppy image and right click in there and open terminal in there first. Then become root user in terminal by using su or (Puppy terminal is always root user if using Puppy to make the floppy. So no need to become root using Puppy). Make sure you are in that directory when you run terminal. The dd command is a powerful tool and can write over your hardrive if you point dd command to the wrong drive. My command should be safe. as I have pointed it at floppy drive in the command.
    Code:
    dd if=plpbtin.img of=/dev/fd0
    PLoP - Home

Linux Guru

Just Joined!
    Thank you rokytnji, I will try and have a look at these at the weekend when I have a little more time. They look like they could be useful

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast