Find the answer to your Linux question:
Tell me is this possible: I buy a drive. Install it as second drive on my Windows PC, put PCLinuxOS on it. Try it for a week or two (mainly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question can I install on hdd and switch to another pc

Tell me is this possible:

I buy a drive.
    Install it as second drive on my Windows PC, put PCLinuxOS on it.
    Try it for a week or two (mainly Gimp)
    Plug it out and take it to a new computer at work with slightly different specifications
    (chipset 790gx instead of 770t, integrated ATI graphic instead of 5750, slower AM3 CPU than at home)

will it work?

note that I will have no internet connection on the second machine before I buy wireless card some time in the future, so all the drivers and software I have to preintall.

Thanks guys, and pelase point out anything else i should know. (Basicly, company doesn't have money for new windows licenses and I need to put up a Linux machine to do some web design, move around lot of files, etc.)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Will it work? The answer is "maybe". A lot of drivers are built into the kernel, and others are loadable modules. When you do an actual installation, it installs the kernel modules needed for your hardware if they are loadable modules. New versions of the Xorg server will auto-detect the video hardware you are using. I don't know about PCLinuxOS in that regard. My advice? Try it and see if it works. Either it will, or it won't...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Everything will work fine except driver for Graphics Card. You will have to install Driver for other Graphics Card or use generic driver.
    I have a few distros installed in my External disk and it work fine in different machines. I have to configure display settings only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First