Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
If you save your Mepis /boot directory somewhere safe within your present Mepis install, it will be ok unless you tell Blag to install where Mepis is now. From what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

If you save your Mepis /boot directory somewhere safe within your present Mepis install, it will be ok unless you tell Blag to install where Mepis is now. From what you've told me, I don't think you''re wanting to do that.

Once Blag is re-installed, it will be a simple matter to mount your Mepis / partition, and excavate that Mepis /boot file so you can retrieve the info for your Blag /boot. If you want, you could just write your Mepis /boot file to cd before reinstalling Blag and then wouldn't have to fetch it.

I think Blag must have originally created a separate partition for /boot. That is the default way Fedora/RedHat does it. When you installed Mepis, either you told it to install its /boot to that same partition, or Mepis found it on its own and installed its /boot directory there. That would explain why you now have Mepis as a boot choice and no longer Blag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I just found out from my friend jimf43 over at Mepis that creating a boot floppy is not possible after RC4. Which version is yours? If after RC4 then I'd copy your Mepis /boot to some place safe or burn it to disk. You'll need it if you want to dual boot with grub on your hard drive.

Here's what I think would be the simplest solution:

Keep Mepis and your present /boot partition just as it is now.
    Do a simple upgrade, (not new install) of Blag keeping it where it is. When you get to the end of the Blag upgrade, DON'T install the grub boot loader when/if it asks.
    DO create a Blag boot floppy when it asks.

The result will be a box that boots by default to Mepis, unless you insert the Blag boot floppy which takes you to Blag.

I'm getting really sleepy now, so I hope all this makes sense. See you tomorrow...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by larryk
    Well, I re-installed Blag; now I can't get into Mepis.

The only thing that showed up on the boot screen is Blag. I was able to make a boot disk for Blag however. Perhaps if I reinstall Mepis I can make a boot disk there too.

But ya know...this is nuts!
    Dang!!! I was writing my last post while you were re-installing Blag! Argggg!!!
    I'll have to think about this more tomorrow now that you re-installed Blag. It's a shame I didn't get my last post out before you went ahead with it. My synapses are no longer firing. Good night...

Just Joined!
    I've tried reinstalling Mepis so I can get the grub boot loader back, then reinstall Blag and do the boot disc thing (sounded like a good idea) but although I get the live disc to work, it won't let me re-install it...says something about not being able to find any discs(???) Very strange; when I went to install it on the HD initially it found both my C and D drives and worked just fine.

Thought I had the problem licked earlier, when I went to re-inst. Blag for the second time; it gave me the option of making a new boot loader...it should given me a new loader with both distos, but it wouldn't work that way either.

Yup...W2K is sure simpler. I spend more time making Linux work that actually getting work done on a Windows machine (I'm very finicky about keeping the machines patched and scanned for bugs, etc.)

May try again tomorrow. Thanks for your interest in helping me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi larryk. Since you now have an abundance of experience installing both distros, here's what I'd do to get a dual boot situation.

Install Blag first, make a boot floppy, then Install Mepis second. Then you have a box that defaults to Mepis, and when you want to boot Blag, just pop in the floppy!

Just Joined!
    DDan -

I'm doing what you said on the Linux box as I type on the W2K box (love those KVM switches)...will let you know how it goes.

Larry

Just Joined!
    DDan - you da man

Did as suggested; machine defaults to Mepis following reinstall, but can boot to Blag with the floppy boot disk.

All is well (for now).

Wonder if I could use a similar scenario on another Linux machine I have that's running FC2? Would like to dual-boot with Mandrake or Suse.

Thanks very much for your assistance. I still prefer Windows, but Linux is certainly...interesting

Larry

Glad it worked out! You wait! A few more weeks or months with Linux, and you'll be posting back about how much you detest Windows!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2