Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I had a nicely-working installation of "Blag" linux (based on FC1) and wanted to dual-boot another distro. I put "Mepis" on my second HD and set the Grup boot loader ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual-boot "Mepis" and "Blag"

I had a nicely-working installation of "Blag" linux (based on FC1) and wanted to dual-boot another distro. I put "Mepis" on my second HD and set the Grup boot loader on the "C" drive (where I also had "Blag") but although "Mepis" works great, I don't have an option to boot to "Blag," so I've obviously hosed something.

Any solutions for an absolute newbie? Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    use a boot disk to blag and try running liloconfig under blag...er, or whatever command configures grub

Just Joined!
    Er, like I said...I'm an absolute newbie.

How do I do what you recommended?

I've never dual booted between Mepis and Fedora before but I'm presently dual booting between SuSE 9.1 and Fedora Core 1, and have also dual booted between Fedora and Mandrake 10. I also run Mepis on a laptop.

Is your /boot directory on its own partition? Did you tell Mepis to overwrite it? I think you did since you say you no longer have Blag as a boot choice.

I may be wrong, but this is how I'd approach it. First, make a boot floppy of Mepis, so you'll always be able to boot to it if you hose everything else.

Secondly, copy your entire Mepis /boot directory to another safe place, say in your home directory, where it cannot be overwritten.

If Blag installs like Fedora Core 1, then you can do an "upgrade" with your Blag disk. It will be like the install but you just won't be partitioning and stuff. Do not choose a new install, or all your Blag will be overwritten!

You'll get to the end of the upgrade, and Blag should offer the choice of re-doing your grub bootloader. Re-do it, only also include Mepis as a boot choice, and tell it where Mepis resides. Also, at the end of the Blag upgrade, create a boot floppy when it asks. If all else fails, you'll then have two nifty boot floppies allowing you to boot to either distro.

I've never done it this way, but I think it can be done. If this doesn't work, there is a way to copy certain files from your Mepis /boot directory and place them into your Blag /boot directory to make it work.

Good Luck.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    How do I make a Blag boot disk?

And you mean move the Blag files to another folder, then reinstall Blag and hopefully it will tell me what to do with the boot loader?

BTW Blag is on my C drive, as is the loader; Mepis is on my D.

Windows 2K looks awfully good to me right about now.

But with Windows2K you couldn't have all this fun checking out distros and stuff now could you?

Seriously, I need more info. When you boot up, do you get your same old Blag boot screen or is it a new Mepis boot screen without Blag as a choice. Did you write the grub boot loader to the MBR when installing Mepis?

Look in /boot/grub and tell me if there is a file in there called grub.conf or one called menu.lst.

Just Joined!
    Dapper -

Thanks for your reply.

Upon bootup, I get the Grub bootloader screen, with half a dozen options. The first one is for Mephis @ hdb1 (which should be my D drive) kernel 2.4.2.6. The next one is for Mephis @ hdb1 kernel 2.6.7. Then memtest...then "use qwerty keyboard" followed by several in an unknown language. No mention at all of my Blag installation.

Maybe I'll try reinstalling Blag over itself and see if I fix it. I don't have anything on either distro that can't be deleted if that happens.

I should have stayed with FC1 and FC2; mostly trouble-free and the ONLY ones that I've been able to get my printer to work with....but I don't give up easily...

Sounds to me like it's your Mepis/grub bootloader. Did you check in /boot/grub to see if there is either a /grub.conf in there or a menu.lst? If menu.lst then it is definately Mepis. Reinstalling Blag or Fedora Core one will again overwrite /boot if it is on a seperate partition. Is it? Redhat/Fedora likes a seperate partition for /boot and will create one by default.

Whatever you decide, always make a boot floppy so you can boot into an OS. Mepis should have a utility there for you to create one.

If you do decide to reinstall Blag, be sure to copy your Mepis /boot directory to a safe place like I said so you'll have its boot info to put into your newly created Blag /boot directory. I can help you with that.

It's really not that difficult, but I understand how it can be scary. It was for me the first time I tried it, and still is on occaision!

Just Joined!
    I do have a menu.lst file (but no /grub.conf that I can see)

I'm liking Mepis more as I go, but still want to get Blag/FC1 back in action. Cannot find info in Mepis as to how to make boot floppy.

Blag/FC1 is on a separate drive from Mepis. Boot loader is on the Blag drive.

Not sure what I'm gonna do; thought I could just modify the boot file or whatever Linux has so it would show Blag as a choice, but guess not.

Don't understand putting Mepis /boot info someplace else for safekeeping. If I hose Mepis in a reinstallation I won't know how to get the boot info back anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

Just Joined!
    Well, I re-installed Blag; now I can't get into Mepis.

The only thing that showed up on the boot screen is Blag. I was able to make a boot disk for Blag however. Perhaps if I reinstall Mepis I can make a boot disk there too.

But ya know...this is nuts!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast