Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, my GParted (Ubuntu) won't create an NTFS partition (the option is greyed out). I'm trying to create an NTFS partition to allow for a Windows 7/Ubuntu dual-boot. Everywhere I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with Installing a Dual-Boot System - HELP!

So, my GParted (Ubuntu) won't create an NTFS partition (the option is greyed out). I'm trying to create an NTFS partition to allow for a Windows 7/Ubuntu dual-boot. Everywhere I check, they suggest either creating the NTFS partition in GParted BEFORE installing Windows OR leaving it "unallocated" with the Linux partition after it.

I have tried both now, with two results:

1) GParted can't create an NTFS partition within Ubuntu 9.10.

2) On the other hand, the Windows 7 Installer says that Windows can not create a partition or find a partition when I attempt to select the "unallocated" portion.

What might be the problem OR fix?

1) GParted can't create an NTFS partition within Ubuntu 9.10.
    Probably because you are running installed Ubuntu Gparted and Gparted can't format a mounted running drive.

Boot up the live cd and of Ubuntu 9.10. Do your formatting with Gparted while running Live CD.

Edit: if you have no access to your Ubuntu 9.10 Cd. Download and burn a Parted Magic Live CD and burn with braserio as a iso image to cd and format drive with it.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 03-30-2010 at 04:55 AM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD and try to create partitions again. Partitions should not mounted.
    If it doesn't partition, open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First