Find the answer to your Linux question:
So here's the problem: I was installing linux on my friend's really old desktop pc, and his desktop wouldn't boot from a cd. So I took out his hard drive, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB appears out of nowhere after installation. HELP!!

So here's the problem:

I was installing linux on my friend's really old desktop pc, and his desktop wouldn't boot from a cd. So I took out his hard drive, put it in a hard drive enclosure, and plugged it into his brand new Windows 7 laptop which he loves dearly. I went through the installation, took lots of caution to make sure I had the right disk, and everything went fine. (the ancient pc wouldn't boot because it couldn't find the sfs file, but I that's the least of my problems.) So I pulled the hard drive out and rebooted his Windows 7 laptop. And to my horror, instead of booting windows, it said something like:

GRUB loading..... section 1.5

Error 21

I was in such a state of shock that I forgot to write down exactly what it said. But anyway, he is really upset now, not at me because I worked on fixing it for hours and hours, but I gotta get this fixed. Anyone have any idea what happened here?

Use Windows7 recovery disk to repair MBR. You installed grub in the MRB of the windows drive not the linux drive.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Use Windows7 recovery disk to repair MBR. You installed grub in the MRB of the windows drive not the linux drive.
    He's right; you installed Linux on the old desktop PC's drive, but you installed GRUB on the Windows 7 machine; you have to configure GRUB so that it installs itself on the Linux drive. So use a win7 recovery disk (or, better yet, copy his data OFF the drive and then reinstall win7 if you/your friend has a retail copy) to get back the master boot record (MBR)