Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I'm trying to learn Linux. I'm currently a Senior in college, and going to graduate soon. We've learned a lot about routers, hubs, switches, IP's, TCP/IP, etc. etc, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First time Linux User

Hey all,

I'm trying to learn Linux. I'm currently a Senior in college, and going to graduate soon. We've learned a lot about routers, hubs, switches, IP's, TCP/IP, etc. etc, but have rarely touched the topic of Linux.

Where would a good place to start be? Especially if I want to learn about setting up servers in Linux.

Thanks!!

Zac

Hello and Welcome!

To be honest, you can run a server from just about any mainstream distro out there.
    Are you looking for experience that you could take into the workplace? If so, I think you might want to take a look at CentOS. RHEL clone, without the Red Hat branding.
    Debian and Slackware both have a reputation for stability that does it justice when running as a server.
    Last edited by jayd512; 04-06-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can find lots of HowTos for setting up servers with some googling, but you can also check out various hard copy books about servers and networking. If you are interested in setting up your own server, we have a poll that you can check out to see what our members have voted as their favorite server distribution:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...rs-2010-a.html

Best of luck with your goal.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close