Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, First of all I must say this looks like a great forum, even though I just registered I've picked up quite an amount of useful information from here. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Some noob questions about triple booting Gentoo, Ubuntu and W7.

Hello everyone,

First of all I must say this looks like a great forum, even though I just registered I've picked up quite an amount of useful information from here.

Anyways here's my question:
    I'm trying to make a triple boot setup with Gentoo, Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7.
    For gentoo i've been using the on-site handbook as a guide. Also the partition scheme is almost the same. except for the fact that I made my swap a logical partition.
    I installed gentoo first, made my partitions with the minimal cd using cfdisk (which works a lot better than the fdisk they use in the handbook ,imo).
    sda1 as gentoo boot, sda3 as gentoo root, sda5 swap (sda3 is extended).
    And I left some free space for ubuntu and w7.
    after I finished up gentoo, I installed W7, everything went fine.
    Then it was ubuntu, when I reached the partition thingy it stated my leftover free space 'unusable'. I figured windows screwed something up, since I thought I only had 3 primary partitions (root/boot of gentoo and W7).
    So i opened up chrome and googled for triple boot help, but I really couldn't find much usefull stuff, until I came here.
    A few threads below this one someone stated It might even be better to not make the boot for gentoo and just make the root. or just make all the linux partittions logical.
    now my real question:
    What would be the best way doing this safety and performance wise?
    make all logical or just don't make the boot partition?
    also What should I install first? I'm thinking Windows, or is it better to install Gentoo or ubuntu first?
    And last if I don't create the boot partition, do I have to do something special in the installation process or will everything be exactly the same?

All the help i get will be greatly apreciated.
    and Sorry if my writing sometimes sucks, grammar isn't one of my qualities

Just Joined!
    Hmmm after thinking some more about this, I'm guessing this is actually very simple.
    I guess its because I haven't slept much that I couldn't figure this out.

So if i understand this right I could do this:
    ---/dev/sda1 primary for W7
    ---/dev/sda2 extended
    ---/dev/sda5-6 root for ubntu-gentoo
    ---/dev/sda7 swap

I assume this will work? but I want to be 100% before I start cleaning out my disk

Just Joined!
    Looks good.
    *As long as you're not planning to use hibernate (suspend-to-disk) on linux (you'll have to be careful with the shared swap if you are).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by trutheality View Post
    Looks good.
    *As long as you're not planning to use hibernate (suspend-to-disk) on linux (you'll have to be careful with the shared swap if you are).
    Nah, I never let my pc go into hibernate
    thanks.

You should install windows7 first. It wants to create a hidden (restore) partition at the start of the drive. Then gentoo, which I believe still uses legacy grub. Finally ubuntu which uses grub2. From other forums and posts, I find that ubuntu doesn't always boot properly from legacy grub.

Install Windows 7 and Gentoo after that.

Install Ubuntu after Gentoo only. Ubuntu installer will detect Windows OS and Gentoo. It will setup multi boot using its bootloader grub2.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First