Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a pc that has 500GB of hard disk space, I want to install centos and use it has a dev box for java/web applications. Keeping in mind the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Preparing/partitioning a server for use as dev box

I have a pc that has 500GB of hard disk space, I want to install centos and use it has a dev box for java/web applications. Keeping in mind the end us of the box, what partition structure makes the most sense?

I was thinking:

/ -- 150 GB*
    /var -- 10 GB
    /data -- 340 GB**

*Since there will be a bunch of apps i.e. apache, mysql, vsftpd, postfix, trac, samba, alfresco, and icescrum or agilefant

**For all other files i.e. java/war/jar files, svn directory, backups, samba share

Thanks.

I don't see a need for a separate /var

usually I do only / and /home

150gb is overkill for / even with home being in it, if you are putting data elsewhere

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    I don't see a need for a separate /var

usually I do only / and /home

150gb is overkill for / even with home being in it, if you are putting data elsewhere
    How much would you recommend for the "/" volume? I thought of using 150 GB to account for all the patches/updates to the aforementioned softwares.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    20-30gb should be more than sufficient, my / partition is 10gb, still under 80% utilization

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    20-30gb should be more than sufficient, my / partition is 10gb, still under 80% utilization
    Thanks for the input; I think I'll go with 30GB for the / partition and the remaining disk space I'll use for the data volume group.

However, I have one follow-up question -- what physical extent size makes the most the sense for the data volume group?

if you are only single booting, or using virtualization software, then probably use the rest of the space for data, make sure you have enough swap thought

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I am running CentOS 5 for a server and dev box. After 2 years and TONNES of software added to the system, my root file system is only taking 25GB, so I think 50GB to / is fine. BTW, /var is also on the root file system, so 50GB for both should be just fine. Use the rest for /home or whatever. My system drive is 320GB which contains /, /boot, and swap. I am using a 4x500GB set of discs configured as a 2TB LVM2 volume that contains /home - all my downloads, user files, installed software packages, databases, source, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!