Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Guys, I had a preloaded Windows Vista acer laptop. I installed ubuntu 9.10 on my portable usb hard drive. Now the issue is that whenever i have to reboot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Manual GRUB configuration

Hey Guys,

I had a preloaded Windows Vista acer laptop. I installed ubuntu 9.10 on my portable usb hard drive. Now the issue is that whenever i have to reboot my machine, i need to have my USB hard drive plugged in, if i dont plug in the USB hard drive i am left with the grub shell. I wanted to know that is there a way to manually alter the boot loader to always point to system hard drive instead of portable USB hard drive.

Hi and Welcome !

Installer has installed GRUB Bootloader in MBR of Internal Hard disk but its conf files are in External Disk.

First of all, re-install Vista Boot Loader. Follow instruction from here to re-install it. Windows Vista will boot up without External Disk after re-installing its boot loader.

You have to re-install GRUB in External disk. You have to edit a few files to do that. Is it possible for you to re-install Ubuntu? It will make things lot easier. Just disable Internal disk in BIOS before Ubuntu Installation.

But if you want to learn how GRUB works, do not re-install Ubuntu. I will post instructions for GRUB re-install in External Disk. Let me know your choice.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the information. My choice would be to learn GRUB.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have you installed Vista Boot Loader?
    Plug-in External Disk and boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD. Open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First